Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2012, 11:55 PM   #11 
DeviCy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
From the pics he does not look sick, I would go ahead and do the epsom salt. Does he have swolen eyes and grey belly?

As for how they get parasites, I am not really sure. I know feeding live foods like blood worms comes with a risk of getting internal parasites but other then that, I have no clue.
They can have internal ones OR external ones.
The pics don't really show what I was hoping, I'm pretty sure he is pineconing to use your word, and trust me something is defiantly wrong. I'm confused though he has bloated belly but its white as shown in the pics. The eyes don't look extra swollen, but they could be I'm not sure on that one. I have never fed him live food I've been warned against that. I'll do the epsom salt tonight, can I use it as well as the other betta meds? Is there a specially way to prepare like boil it in first? I'm more worried he'll starve himself before I can cure him he refuses to eat and just sits at the surface gasping for air.(at least thats how it appears)
DeviCy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:12 AM   #12 
Tikibirds

Yes, you can combine the meds with epsom. Unlike AQ salt, you can leave a fish in epsom for however long is needed.

Quote:
I'm more worried he'll starve himself before I can cure him he refuses to eat and just sits at the surface gasping for air.(at least thats how it appears)
They can go for several weeks without food. I had one little guy not eat for over 3 weeks.

Quote:
Is there a specially way to prepare like boil it in first?
The Epsom? Nah. Just add conditioned water and salt -just make sure the salt is disolved before adding the fisihie. I like to use a gallon milk jug, put in the 1 teaspoon of salt and shake it up, wait for the salt to disolve completly, then I add it to the storage container I use for a hospital tank. I think it can be upped to 3 teaspoons/gallon but I am not 100% sure on that.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:26 AM   #13 
DeviCy

Quote:
Yes, you can combine the meds with epsom. Unlike AQ salt, you can leave a fish in epsom for however long is needed.

They can go for several weeks without food. I had one little guy not eat for over 3 weeks.

The Epsom? Nah. Just add conditioned water and salt -just make sure the salt is disolved before adding the fisihie. I like to use a gallon milk jug, put in the 1 teaspoon of salt and shake it up, wait for the salt to disolve completly, then I add it to the storage container I use for a hospital tank. I think it can be upped to 3 teaspoons/gallon but I am not 100% sure on that.
I'll keep it to 1 tsp for now just to be safe, he's looking worse today was the first day I noticed the pinecone look, but he's listing off to the side more he's presenting with both Dropsy and SDB symtom's so I'm treating him for both maybe he's just strange or I'm just dumb and can't tell I'm hoping he gets better. At this point though I'm willing to try anything to save him.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:33 AM   #14 
Tikibirds

I hope he just has a bad case of SBD. That usually isn't fatal, it just makes them look pathetic.

Keep us posted.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:42 AM   #15 
DeviCy

Quote:
I hope he just has a bad case of SBD. That usually isn't fatal, it just makes them look pathetic.

Keep us posted.
I hope so as well
Old 03-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #16 
DeviCy

Aries Died today for anyone who was keeping track I tried and thank you all for your help.

Tags
bloating, discoloration, eating, sick