Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-28-2012, 07:26 PM   #1 
AFishTale
Member
 
AFishTale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Question Spawning Tank Question

I'm a little eager, and have already set up my spawning tank. (My pairs should be here in a few days, but it won't see any action for another week or two.) My question is, setting up this early won't be harmful will it? My setup is a 10g with about 4inches of water, a couple IALs, heater set to 82, thermo, and a bunch of live plants. I figured it would be good to age the water, and let micro organisms start growing in the plants/water. Yes?
AFishTale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #2 
bettalover2033
Member
 
bettalover2033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York
Actually no way, this would not harm your fish or the fry. It is actually very good and suggested to get your tank set up. The infusoria will be ready and the IAL will do their job while the water ages a bit.

I do this all the time and I found that with aging the water, I get better results. Is also why when you do water changes, the water is aged and covered so nothing can get in. I start to age my water as soon as the pair spawn and put in a few IAL in the buckets that are aging so I have multiple 5 gallon buckets that are already aged and ready to go.

Also just a tip, it's very beneficial to add in just about a cup of the tank water to get the infusoria going in the aging water.

This is very good and I'm glad you actually are doing this. Hope I answered your question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFishTale View Post
I'm a little eager, and have already set up my spawning tank. (My pairs should be here in a few days, but it won't see any action for another week or two.) My question is, setting up this early won't be harmful will it? My setup is a 10g with about 4inches of water, a couple IALs, heater set to 82, thermo, and a bunch of live plants. I figured it would be good to age the water, and let micro organisms start growing in the plants/water. Yes?
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:12 PM   #3 
EvilVOG
Member
 
EvilVOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Detroit, Mi
sounds good to me. I would wait at least two, preferably 3 weeks before spawning a sipped pair. One week of normal feeding to get them back to/ensure health before the extra feedings of conditioning.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:10 AM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Central Texas
Good luck with your spawn. Keep us posted.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:52 AM   #5 
AFishTale
Member
 
AFishTale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilVOG View Post
sounds good to me. I would wait at least two, preferably 3 weeks before spawning a sipped pair. One week of normal feeding to get them back to/ensure health before the extra feedings of conditioning.
Well, my fish are always kept conditioned in the sense of food and water. I.e a normal rotation of protien wholesome foods such as brine shrimp, bloodworms, Bettapro, homemade formula, and live skeeter larva. But of course I will wait as long as nessissary for the green light as far as health and wellness of my new kids go. (:
AFishTale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:09 PM   #6 
bettalover2033
Member
 
bettalover2033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFishTale View Post
Well, my fish are always kept conditioned in the sense of food and water. I.e a normal rotation of protien wholesome foods such as brine shrimp, bloodworms, Bettapro, homemade formula, and live skeeter larva. But of course I will wait as long as nessissary for the green light as far as health and wellness of my new kids go. (:
I usually condition for a week and a half, but in your case, I'd just feed them just a small bit extra for 1 weeks since they are already being given good foods. They should be ready to go in a week after conditioning.

It's good to feed them a variety of foods all the time, but the higher protein foods, they should be given more as a treat since that can cause bloating issues and as well as (SBD) Swim Bladder Disease.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
lights in spawning tank atteb Breeding Betta Fish 5 03-30-2012 01:36 PM
spawning and grow out tank HatsuneMiku Breeding Betta Fish 13 01-14-2012 10:19 PM
2 strangers in my betta spawning tank bettarainbow Betta Fish Compatibility 7 08-30-2011 11:19 PM
Putting together my spawning tank MMAsac Breeding Betta Fish 1 08-08-2011 01:05 PM
Just another spawning question... Dead Sunlight Breeding Betta Fish 3 06-16-2010 04:10 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.