Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #11 
Wolfboy51

Wow the pics were pretty cool. The third last 1 was pretty cool :D
Wolfboy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:48 PM   #12 
LittleBettaFish

Bettas in the wild are also nowhere near as aggressive as their domesticated counterparts. This is why I cannot stand to hear people using the 'but males live together in the wild' argument when attempting to house multiple male splendens together.

Domesticated splendens nowadays tend to look nothing like those in the wild (which sadly are endangered due to hybridisation). They have been bred purely for appearance and aggression for generations now, and really, are only suited for life in an aquarium.

True wild splendens are still aggressive, as are most of the other less popular species of wild bettas. However, they seem to lack the 'hunt down and destroy' drive that most domesticated splendens display.

This is why wilds can usually be kept in pairs or groups. Yes, they still will fight to assert dominance and sort out the pecking order, but their fights are generally only brief, and they don't tend to cause much serious injury.

I had two splendens get in with each other and one of mine was nearly killed. All his pectorals, anal and caudal fin were torn off and his scales were also damaged. Even then, once he had rested, he was still trying to get to the other male and fight.

That one experience is why I would never advise the average owner to house two or more males together, no matter what size the tank.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:54 PM   #13 
Myates

I have a boy who is very very aggressive. He's nearly the size of a giant and will focus on his neighbor non stop if I didn't have to break his line of sight now and again. Luckily all my other ones will only give him a couple minutes of their time and then ignore him for the most part.

But I have to agree.. it's not going to be easy to house two males together, but in certain circumstances, it can potentially be okay. Me? Meh, sororities are more then enough to keep me on my toes lol.

A part of me wishes I lived in Australia and such, where there are different wild species of bettas. I would love to have those.. and most of them I would love to have over the domesticated ones.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:17 PM   #14 
LittleBettaFish

You have more wild species available to you and probably cheaper than what we have here. It costs a lot to purchase a good-quality pair of wilds or to import a pair in. They are very rare here, and it's only that I stalk our main transhipper's Youtube channel that I ended up with so many different species.

The only really 'docile' male I have is the one that lives in my sorority. He grew up with most of the females and is not as full-on aggressive as my other males. I wonder if because he was purchased by the LFS as female, whether he was actually ever jarred.

I think being brought up with a group of young females in which no one challenges his role as 'alpha', has somewhat dampened his aggression. The extent of his aggression is usually a flare and a nip.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:02 AM   #15 
MrVampire181

I had two males together with their siblings last year. The big male flared a bit at his brother at 3 months but asserted dominance. After multiple moves and spawns he remained the alpha fish even if he was absent for more than a week. It definitely supports the theory of dominance being asserted peacefully. Heck once his father got into the tank somehow (heck I don't know how. One morning I just see him swimming in their) and they were swimming peacefully. Occasional flaring but in a 30 with lots of other fish and plants they never really bothered each other. Of course this is me and I have more experience in keeping and raising bettas that it shouldn't be attempted by the average betta keeper.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:38 AM   #16 
Myates

How funny.. possible he built a catapult? Hehe..

All of mine I would not trust in any setting like that.. most are too aggressive, and one is too passive the females would terrorize him to no ends. In fact, I don't think any of my fish, regardless of sex, would work in any type of community tank, they are very territorial in their tanks.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:24 PM   #17 
Wolfboy51

@Myates: there are wild bettas in ausrtalia? In perth i have to order a fish if i wanted something such as a plakat or halfmoon from the eastern states. Where can u buy a wild betta in australia? How much could they be?
Wolfboy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:46 PM   #18 
MrVampire181

You have to import fish into Australia. Just like we have to import fish into the US unless a breeder has them.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote