Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2012, 11:04 AM   #1 
Waenyvien

Unhappy Not eating and Cant swim. Really sick HELP!

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, small carbon filter
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? No

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?

Betta bits, pellets occasional blood worm treat

How often do you feed your betta fish?

twice a day 2 pellets

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Once a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100 percent
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Standard betta water treatment.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

No, I just did a full water change and transfered him into small half gallon "hospital" tank that the waters been treated. I do plan to pick up a test kit this afternoon.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Yes his fins are practically melting away a noted decline in length over night. stomach looks slightly bloaty.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Christophe just lays on the bottom and wont swim, he wont eat wont come up for air. He just lays there tipped on his side.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? I noticed he had a case of mild fin rot a a week ago, so I did a full water change in my large tank added a dose of aquarium salt and decided to wait and see how he was doing. Last night he looked really bad so I moved him into a small half gallon tank so it would be easier for him to surface. Now he wont swim at all. Two days ago I added melafix to the water and have been dosing him since its been getting worse.

Does your fish have any history of being ill? He has gotten fin rot before, but treatment was very sucessful.

How old is your fish (approximately)?Over 3 years he's a good old boy my Christophe.

Last edited by Waenyvien; 03-06-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Waenyvien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:05 PM   #2 
Waenyvien

I got a test kit, the tank he was in was super alkaine. I did a water change with tested bottled water with all perfect levels and put him in it.

His fins are still dissolving though and all he does is lay on the bottom. Anyone have any suggestions Please please? Christophe looks like he might not make it...
Old 03-06-2012, 10:44 PM   #3 
callistra

Why are you using bottled water? Almost none of it is suitable for fish.

How are you acclimating him to all these water changes?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #4 
Waenyvien

Because my tap water is even more unsuitable. Our city water is really aweful and when I'd tested the water with my city water the ph was around 5.5. The bottled water is jugged spring water. It tests out fine for ph and everything else. I'm acclimating him by floating him in his cup before I put him in each change. Though I do make sure that the temperature is always at 78 degrees for each time before I even float him in his cup in the water. Then I put him in the tank.

Last edited by Waenyvien; 03-07-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:45 PM   #5 
Waenyvien

His condition has worsened and he's started to pinecone in the fashion of dropsy. I really am unsure what to do...
Old 03-08-2012, 02:43 AM   #6 
Tikibirds

Epsom salt can help with dropsy. Maracyn 2 also supposedly can help.
Take a 1 gallon milk jug, add 1 teaspoon of regular, non scnted epsom salt and mix. When its disolved add it to a hospital tank.

As long as the PH is stable, the betta should be able to adapt. Mine is like a 8.2
Bottled and distilled is not recommended becasue they lack the minerals and nutrients that tap water has, stuff the fish needs to be healthy. Tap water and conditioner is recommended.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote