Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #1 
Julissa8202

Water levels horrible!!!

So ok I admit I messed up BIG time. My tank had white almost clear mini worms that looked like hair. And some hopping things and infestation of snails. Soooooooo I took down the whole tank and scrubbed the tank to get the snarls out !! And then I saw my drift wood had slime which I thought was snails eggs :sighs: I replaced the water and put my Betta back in his tank gallon tank. I bought 1 neon and an assassin snail. Now my water levels are horrible so I took them out and I am currently floating the Betta in one container and the neon and snail in another till it cycles out AGAIN! Ughhh now this morning my snail got out of the container he decided he wanted to go into the tank is it ok for the snail to be in those water levels???
Ph 6.0
Kh 17.9
Gh I put 6 drops I forget the number right now.
No2 1.0
Ammonia 0.5
No3 10

My ammonia is dropping
Ph dropped as well
Both No2 and No3 have gone up a bit.
I introduced live bacteria. Dr. Tim's one and only. I have 6 moss balls an amazon fern and sword also java moss. How long will it take for my water levels to go back to normal?
Will my snail be ok?
Julissa8202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #2 
IndeedPanda

How big is your aquarium? Check the plants fir any dead or rotting sections. Cycling a tank takes weeks, and your fish will not survive in those little cups for that long. It may be best to get another tank and use a water conditioner. The tank could be ready in an hour that way.

This would be a great option: http://www.amazon.com/Marineland-Eclipse-Seamless-Integrated-Aquarium/dp/B001B8RQ66/ref=sr_1_5?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1331055391&sr=1-5 It's a 5 gallon so you'll be okay with your betta and a snail. Isn't the tetra a grouping fish? That fish will not be happy by itself and you might want to bring him back to your LFS.

Are you just introducing bacteria, or are you using a water conditioner? It can take weeks for a tank to cycle and only tanks at or over 5 gallons can do so effectively.
IndeedPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #3 
Julissa8202

I used both conditioner was running for 4 days when i noticed my betta and neon acting weird then I introduced live bacteria yesterday hasn't been 24hrs. No dead plants actually plants are looking much greener now. It's a 10 gallon tank and I was planning on adding more neon slowly but this happened !!! Ugh!! Will the snail be ok in that water ? I didn't know about cycling this is all new too me. Since i only had the betta in the 10 gallon by himself after realizing the little betta bowl is a NO NO so i bought the 10. But have been reading up alot more.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:28 PM   #4 
IndeedPanda

The snail needs to get out of there. During the cycling process (which takes anywhere from 4-6 weeks) nitrogen levels with spike dangerously and can drasticaly reduce your fishs' life spans if they are exposed to it. The plants might me okay, but I'm not sure.

I know this feels stressful and it sucks to get the fish and the tank and then learn all this stuff. I'd take the tetra and the snail back, and get a small temporary tank for the betta while your tank cycles. A 5 gallon like the one I listed before will be perfect AND later can be used as a quarantine tank.

For a good way to cycle your tank, read this: http://www.csupomona.edu/~jskoga/Aquariums/Ammonia.html

It is the fastest way and will take advantage of the bacteria you've already introduced.

Once the cycling process is complete you can go get four tetras and put them in the tank, then wait a week before adding the betta or vice versa. You were right to add fish slowly, but tetra are very very stressed when by themselves (aka, without other tetra).

The fish store should take the fish beck, but it is MUCH better to keep the betta as the pet store conditions will likely kill him/her. If they won't take the fish back then you really need the 5-gallon to keep your fish in while the tank cycles.

What is happening sounds like an overload in the biosystem. You have the plants plus the fish and it's all a bit much for the newly cycling aquarium. Tank cycling sounds very complicated, but really it is just creating a balace in the tank- or a mini eco system of checks and balances. Pretty much you are growign good becteria to help regulate the amonia and nitrite, and then 20-30% water changes are used to get rid of some of the nitrate. The aquarium will be more stable without chemical add-ons and you won't have to change the water as frequently which means your fish will be less stressed.

Alternatively: If you really do not want to follow the above advice then what you can try is chemicals. PH is not a big issue so long as it is stable and not too high. Your big factors are amonia, nitrate, and nitrite. There are chemicals to lower those as well.

You could also dump the water out, add fresh tap water, add a conditioner and test the water.
If the levels are good then add your fish back and preform routine water changes. It will take a long time for your tank to cycle this was as the conditioner you use may kill at lot of the bacteria you are trying to grow, but if you stop using the conditioner you will drasticaly reduce the lifespan of your fish- and might even lose them.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:54 PM   #5 
Julissa8202

Thank you!!!
Old 03-06-2012, 04:38 PM   #6 
kfryman

Why would you get another tank that can cycle to let the 10 gallon cycle? The Betta is fine in the ten. You will just be doing the fish in cycle. Bettas are extremely tolerant of ammonia, while the Tetra won't. As long as you keep up on water changes, the Betta will be fine.

You don't need another tank that would technically need to also cycle. Ammonia in a ten gallon that is not fully cycles will be WAY better than a Betta in a 5 gallon that is not cycled either. If you think a 10 gallon has twice the amount of water than a five and the ammonia won't build up as fast.

Hope this helps!
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:52 PM   #7 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
Why would you get another tank that can cycle to let the 10 gallon cycle? The Betta is fine in the ten. You will just be doing the fish in cycle. Bettas are extremely tolerant of ammonia, while the Tetra won't. As long as you keep up on water changes, the Betta will be fine.

You don't need another tank that would technically need to also cycle. Ammonia in a ten gallon that is not fully cycles will be WAY better than a Betta in a 5 gallon that is not cycled either. If you think a 10 gallon has twice the amount of water than a five and the ammonia won't build up as fast.

Hope this helps!
Honestly, in my experience, bettas are not highly tolerant of ammonia. My red veil tail died very quickly when ammonia levels spiked.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:10 PM   #8 
Julissa8202

My Betta did well before alone and just changed the water alot because I had brown water from the drift wood. Had the tank up and running for a lil over a month and he was happy and never got sick. The tetra and snail I am more worried about. But I will check the levels in a couple of hours I threw dirty water from the tetra, snail and Betta to help it cycle better and also threw in an algae wafer.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:23 PM   #9 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julissa8202 View Post
My Betta did well before alone and just changed the water alot because I had brown water from the drift wood. Had the tank up and running for a lil over a month and he was happy and never got sick. The tetra and snail I am more worried about. But I will check the levels in a couple of hours I threw dirty water from the tetra, snail and Betta to help it cycle better and also threw in an algae wafer.
I don't think adding fish food is going to help your tank cycle....
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:48 PM   #10 
IndeedPanda

I've been told bettas CAN tollerate high amonia. The fish cycle does work... but in all respect I cannot endorse that as fish put into the tank durign the cycle do have a tendancy to lead much shorter lives. If Julissa8202's fish can an imune system that is compromised in any way, there is a risk of damage.\

Having a betta in a 2.5 or 5 gallon tank with frequent water changes using conditioned tap water is ofren much better than exposing the fish to amonia. I have a 5 gallon tank cycling and my sick betta is currently living in a 2.5 gallon. I change the water 100% every day because I knew he was sick when I rescued him from the pet store. He's gained lot of color and is eatting well since then so I can't agree that puttign the fish in that much amonia is better than putting him in an uncycled tank with water conditioner.

I can agree with you that bettas can survive the cycling process and that it is a pain to buy another tank... but from what I've read on this site, it is good to have a deent spare anyway for Quarantine. A sick fish, a new fish, a new plant... all these things are good to quarantine and having good water helps a fish heal- that is why I recomended the 5 gallon with the filter.

Julissa8202, yes the betta can survive poor water conditions and you were right to change the water. The problem is that poor watter conditions also can lead to fungus, parasites, and tail/fin rott. It's best to give your fish the best possible conditions. Maybe I'm just overly paranoid. But mine was kept in a tiny cup by pet store employees who were sure you could just set up a tank, pour ater in, and toss in the fish. When I got him he was almost solid white. He is lookign better and it'll be a long road to recovery... from all the stress and heartache of a sick fish, I can only advise you to be paranoid as well and do what you can to give your fish the best water possible.