Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2012, 08:51 PM   #1 
melrohner

New with baby Bettas, a few general questions

Hi! This is my first post here! I got both a baby and an adult betta last Thursday, and I have a couple questions about care, mainly for the baby. I've had an adult betta before, but that was a LONG time ago, and I don't think there was as much good information out there as there is now.

The baby looks to be about 3/4 - 1 inch long (hard to tell because the water and the tank magnify everything!). According to a chart I found on the internet this would put him at about 6 - 7 weeks old. So far he seems healthy and he appears to be doing well.

Right now they're both in small tanks with no filtration, although there is a small heater for the baby's. Also I have the baby's mostly covered to keep the air above the water warm and humid. I do have a 3.5 gallon that I plan to move the baby into. I set it up last night, but want to let it run 24 - 48 hours before switching him over. Also I still have to figure out how to baffle (?) the filter (if that's the right word, I can't remember for sure right now!) and have to get a better heater. Is there anything else I need to do before putting him in? The water was actually bottled water (my tapwater is VERY bad, and I didn't want to chance using it) with a water conditioner specifically for bettas added.

Substrate in the tank is sand instead of gravel, which I've never used (although it's been YEARS since I've had a fish aquarium anyway), so I'm hoping it's okay. Right now there's one decoration (no sharp edges) and one live plant, a peacock fern. I'm hoping to add alot more live plants, but it will have to go a little at a time!

Also I was wondering if I could add a snail. I'm assuming that a snail wouldn't do anything to hurt the baby. I want a small algae eater too, but I'm going to wait until he/she is a little bigger. So do you guys think a snail would be okay? Probably a mystery snail, those are the only ones I've seen for sale in my local pet shops.

I've been feeding both the baby and the adult twice a day, late-morning and night before bed. The baby gets hikari baby micro pellets and freeze-dried blood worms. The adult gets a betta flake (can't remember what brand, sorry) and also the blood worms. Is my diet and feeding schedule okay?

Sorry for all the questions, but I want to give these guys the best life possible! I'm hoping, when money and space allow (trying to buy a house right now and get out of my TINY apartment!), to have them both in bigger aquariums. I'd like to have at least a 10-gallon, but for now they'll have to settle for something a little more cozy. I'll probably buy another 3.5 gallon for my adult sometime soon.

Just fyi, my baby is SO cute! He has colors already, and I'm almost sure he's a boy. I'd really love it if he turned out a girl though, I'd love to eventually have a sorority in a big aquarium.

Thanks so much for reading and any help. I'm excited about my new fishies:D
melrohner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:09 PM   #2 
MrVampire181

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=82911

My guide to raising fry ^ Start on the grow out section.

Of course you won't need a 20 or 30 gallon tank for one juvenile betta but you will need proper food and water changes and a good tank size.

Last edited by MrVampire181; 03-06-2012 at 09:11 PM.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #3 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Congrats on the fishies:)
Word of advice, take out the peacock fern, it's not an aquatic plant (though often sold as such) and will rot and make the water toxic.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote