Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2012, 11:10 AM   #1 
ParadisMutts

The Best way to Clean?

Hello everyone, I don't have my tank or Betta yet but I would like to know some things before I get him this weekened.

He will be in a 5.5 Gallon and it will have a heater and a filter (which I will baffle). I was wondering how often I should clean his tank and the best way to do so? I want to know because I am thinking of picking up a small gravel vaccum, if that would work in a tank this size.

Also is cleaning his tank 50% a week too little? I want him to be happy and healthy. I didn't plan to cycle the 5.5, I read that the smaller the tank the harder to cycle and I don't mind cleaning him more. I also plan on putting a Moss Ball in the tank with him, if that makes a difference to the amount of cleaning.

Thank you for the advice in advance!
ParadisMutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:24 PM   #2 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadisMutts View Post
Hello everyone, I don't have my tank or Betta yet but I would like to know some things before I get him this weekened.

He will be in a 5.5 Gallon and it will have a heater and a filter (which I will baffle). I was wondering how often I should clean his tank and the best way to do so? I want to know because I am thinking of picking up a small gravel vaccum, if that would work in a tank this size.

Also is cleaning his tank 50% a week too little? I want him to be happy and healthy. I didn't plan to cycle the 5.5, I read that the smaller the tank the harder to cycle and I don't mind cleaning him more. I also plan on putting a Moss Ball in the tank with him, if that makes a difference to the amount of cleaning.

Thank you for the advice in advance!
If you are going to have a filter, your tank will cycle regardless anyway, so it is probably just best to do a fishless cycle first. :) 5 gallons and above are not that tricky to cycle. :)
After the cycle is complete, 50% per week is fine, but if you don't cycle it you will need to do 1 50% and 1 100% per week. The moss ball alone is not enough to change how much you clean.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:19 PM   #3 
ParadisMutts

Thank you so much for the advice!
ParadisMutts is offline   Reply With Quote