Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2012, 01:35 PM   #21 
GreenTea

They sent 100 troops to assist Ugandan authorities. If the US can take out Kony, there would be no one for the children to follow and the area could be stabilized. Just like with Osama, the US captured many other high ranking terrorists that could have taken his place. That example also isn't necessarily valid because we're talking about stabilizing a fairly small region from a dictator, not destabilizing a huge terrorist operation with individual cells capable of operating independently. I bet if you take out Kony and help the governments set up some resources for the children, it does not become an issue with someone else. Arresting Kony and his goons would stop kids from killing their families and all sorts of other horrible things. For Al Qaeda, you also have to remember they have an ongoing hatred for the US and what we stand for, Kony is just a greedy jerk using the weak to his advantage. So of course someone steps up in Al Qaeda, but would someone else step up to do this horrifying work? I doubt it, as long as the top ringleaders were taken out. Also, with the worlds eyes on them and only AK 47s at their disposal, they'd think twice.

I don't think there was ever any talk of starting a war, there's no country to start a war with and yes, that is extremely expensive and we've been at war for 12 years. Sending in a team like they did with Osama would be a more likely scenario, and then giving the Uganda government some advice and assistance in dealing with the thousands of children. Did you know Kony is a Christian? Just as bad as extremist muslims in Al Qaeda. I found that out today.

Last edited by GreenTea; 03-11-2012 at 01:52 PM.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:40 PM   #22 
kfryman

See GreenTea that is why I hate when notorious people are found out to be religious, it makes the religion look terrible. (Bin Laden was Muslim, but he killed other Muslims so technically he isn't Muslim, but still).

I really don't think the Ugandan government really cares, they have a dictator, the US doesn't and they probably wouldn't like it if we tried to help because that makes them look weak. Also, if we do give them money I doubt they will use it for Kony.

All they have are AKs? Those shoot a 7.62x 54, that is an amazing round. One reason why the US "lost" Vietnam was because of the AK. It is an easy gun to operate and is cheap to buy in other countries.

I just think that even though we help them, it will backfire or start again. You are entitled to an opinion, as am I. I think it would be good to help though, just for how long will it be fine for and at what cost?
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:49 PM   #23 
GreenTea

Yeah I know what you mean. Hitler was a Christian too. The Ugandan government has been trying to stop Kony for a long time and have been asking for help actually. As have other organizations and leaders in the area, men and women. I didn't say give them money, I said set up resources in the community, i.e help them be self sufficient by organizing groups to fix schools, get water, organize the kids and get some program going so that they can reintegrate into society there.

I know AKs are a great gun, but AKs dont compare to the rest of the world with advanced weaponry and focused attention on them. That was a metaphor for saying the world has more power than any remnants of a regime armed with AKs.

Kony is doing this for his own power. Get rid of him and his goons, break up his child army, hang out for a bit to stabilize things, game over. The US would hopefully also not be the only country going into this situation, there are lots of allied resources available, and it is a world-wide human rights crisis.

So you're saying we should help, but we should do nothing? I'm confused. There would be no war, this would be us taking out another jerk, like Osama or Saddam Hussein. We have the capability, and it's the right thing to do. This has been going on for over a decade. It needs to stop before the entire region is completely destroyed.

Last edited by GreenTea; 03-11-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:44 PM   #24 
MrVampire181

Well I don't support this cause because honestly in Uganda it isn't even thought of. Rumors are Kony is dead or in another part of Africa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DO73Ese25Y
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:11 PM   #25 
Laki

Does anybody know or care about Info Wars??
I don't know that much about it, I will admit, this whole African thing but Kony could be dead. The US brought Kony up because he is an easy target that people will support. The land he occupies(d) is valuable if the US were to invade. With the whole Kony 2012 stuff circulating for propaganda, who will care if the US Army "decides" to invade? People will say "yes, save the children" but the goal will be double sided.
I'm not buying into it. It's too new a tool for me to pick sides. Granted, with high profile propaganda pieces such as this and "occupy" I just stepped aside and let people do their thing.
Today there were Canada wide protests on the Harper government theories. I leave all that political stuff to the people who want to bother themselves with it, I won't lose sleep unfortunately. I do care, but I'm simply uninterested.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:13 PM   #26 
GreenTea

Caring, but uninterested? Opposites. You care and you act or you don't care and you don't act. People will say yes save the children and mean it, for the government, there will be another motivation. Oil. Doesn't mean we still shouldn't save the children imo. The US didn't bring Kony up, this viral video did, the US was already involved, as were other countries.

I hope he's dead! Leaving this thread now, it makes my brain hurt.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:51 AM   #27 
Laki

Well, tired eyes will do that -_-

I care about what happens in the world, I do. I'm not interested in the mass hype propaganda special interest which comes from the viral videos. I hate popular music, popular culture and I hate popular charity trends which spring up like this and Occupy which die down once the media turns it's head and the spotlight comes off the protesters. That's all.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:52 AM   #28 
bahamut285

I want to know how many of you can point to Uganda on a map. This whole thing is a scam. Invisible Children only donates 30% of their proceeds towards actual charity, the rest go into their pockets or to pay for travel and lodging of their "agents".

Condescending Wonka gives my thoughts about this thread:
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:07 AM   #29 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
I want to know how many of you can point to Uganda on a map. This whole thing is a scam. Invisible Children only donates 30% of their proceeds towards actual charity, the rest go into their pockets or to pay for travel and lodging of their "agents".

Condescending Wonka gives my thoughts about this thread:
Exactly...
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #30 
xjenuhfur

I'mma just leave this here. :)
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote