Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2012, 12:16 PM   #31 
GreenTea

Laki, you hate things for being popular? "...mass hype propaganda special interest which comes from the viral videos." This doesn't mean what you think it means. I'm very confused by this. It sounds like fox news got too excited and mashed all their most used phrases together.

Occupy was a protest, not a charity, and started before the media showed up, and died out a few months after the mass media coverage, like all protests will. Protests don't equal forever. The idea they plant can, though.

I wish they put more of their proceeds to actually funding the schools in the area and helping the kids directly, and less of making movies. They use more than 30% of funding for that, but not by much.

This is something more pertinent. http://www.change.org/petitions#search/uganda

Last edited by GreenTea; 03-12-2012 at 12:22 PM.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #32 
Laki

Oh boy. I don't want to argue because honestly, I don't care. I don't even have a tv so I cannot watch fox news. Or whatever. I have a lot of stuff on my shoulders and I don't even know why I keep checking this thread. I'm too tired to care about anything right now.. too.. much... schoolwork.....
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:59 PM   #33 
fishman12

I wonder how many people are going to turn up on the streets. I doubt that it's as many as he expects. this is a huge fad.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:01 AM   #34 
Bombalurina

I'm just surprised everyone is in such a hype about Kony now, instead of 6 years ago when the whole thing was at its peak and the LRA was committing some horrible atrocities.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:34 PM   #35 
chrissylee13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
I'm just surprised everyone is in such a hype about Kony now, instead of 6 years ago when the whole thing was at its peak and the LRA was committing some horrible atrocities.
i agree with you there. i knew of Kony 6 years ago, but 6 years ago i was 15 and didn't really care about much except passing classes and spending time with my at the time boyfriend. and i'm definitely not saying that all 15 year olds only worry about those things, it's just what i did.

another thing, i do support finding him and getting rid of him (if he's still alive), but i'm not going to buy posters and stuff from them. simply because right now, i don't have the money to risk. if i knew for sure 100% would go to the cause i might, but because i don't know this i don't want to give money just so people can get paid. i probably will post my own posters on this april 20th cover the night day. but it'd be out of recycled stuff i already have. and it wouldn't be EVERYWHERE because i'm sure a cop would find me and be angry i was doing it. lol.

i know it may sound as if i'm saying i support it AND don't support it but that's exactly how it is. i posted this to spread the word and because i do care about it. and i thought others might care too.
chrissylee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:13 PM   #36 
fishman12

Fact: Hitler's birthday was April 20th.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:29 PM   #37 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Invisible children has proven quite shady, not sharing where their "raised" money is used, I have cites for this that I can post. Organizations that monitor charities rank them as a very poor one.. Spending around a million dollars on traveling, a million dollars for fancy camera gear, etc..

I'm all for this, but I say don't support IC. Kong hasn't been seen since 2006, he's probably not in Uganda, or dead.. I say support a reliable charity that works to build up schools and farms, villages and wells, so WHEN these children are freed, they actually will have a place to live a normal life..
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:40 PM   #38 
fishman12

There's a lot of propaganda in that film. A whole lot. He repeatedly says a "few dollars". But how much is a few?
Old 03-14-2012, 10:50 PM   #39 
kfryman

The InvisibleChilldren people only donate 30% because they don't raise money to send, they raise money to spend on posters to spread awareness. If you want to actually help some people, donate to the Red Cross!

Kony is one of those videos that is popular then dies down. If he is dead thats good, if not big whoop. Not to be mean, but Africa is a really messed up place. They have pirates too... ARGGG (sorry couldn't help it lol)
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:53 PM   #40 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

The problem is people will have probably forgotten about Kony long before any good is done..
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote