Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2012, 10:20 AM   #1 
AlainaToadpipe

Has anyone had luck with a mellow male and cherry barbs?

I've had cherries in the past, and have bred bettas before, so I'm familiar with the temperments of both fish, but the barbs were in a community tank whereas when I kept bettas before I kept the females together and the males in their own containers (roughly 1g each). I've been looking through the profiles here and the information elsewhere looking at parameters etc. so I think it just comes down to personality at this point. We've been lucky enough to have, what I see as a very mellow male, but I'd like to know if anyone else has had luck with this particular combination.

I'd also seen some have luck with dwarf gourami and a betta, but my concern there is lack of tank space, I've only got a 10g at the moment.

I wouldn't mind a dwarf frog, but the tank we have has plants growing out the top (on purpose), and they tend to jump out :/

Thanks in advance!

PS. I do have the tank in question posted in my aquariums here for your perusal. The betta is now in the 10g by himself and no longer in the 2g holding tank.
AlainaToadpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:37 PM   #2 
Bombalurina

I have a friend who successfully kept her cherry barbs with a male betta, then a female (though the male barbs thought she was a female barb and kept trying to mate with her) and then a honey gourami. It is very much dependent on the betta.
As far as barbs go, cherries are relatively non-nippy. I really love them. :) You'll need at least 6, though.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote