Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2012, 05:27 PM   #1 
SassyBetta

How manny is ok?

how manny female bettas would be ok in one 5 gallon tank. im not sure but my sister was wondering since her male died yesterday? i told her more than one in a 5 gallon wasnt a good idea cuz they are teritorial like the guys are soooo? yeah let me know if u have an idea on this, thankyou.
SassyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:33 PM   #2 
Zappity

Only one girl. You can't have a sorority in anything less than a 10gal. ;]
Zappity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:35 PM   #3 
LolaQuigs

Only one. The bare minimum for a sorority is ten gallons, but ideally, a sorority tank should be over ten gallons.

Two bettas can be kept in a 5 gallon only if it is divided.

Last edited by LolaQuigs; 03-07-2012 at 05:38 PM.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:46 PM   #4 
CoyoteBetta22

yeah thats true i currently have 5 females in my ten gallon but i have 2 ring fake plants that float and a like 4 lil platic shot glasses, 2 4-5cavern houses 4 fake plants 2 amazon sword leaf plants a lil fake skull and a fake plant that has rocks like glued together lets the smaller normal females hide better cause i got one huge female dragon betta that looks black in no light but very colorful in the light and another bigger but not as big reddish blue green dragon and white female liler and another liler speckle white and blue shes awesome... and my newest girl looks like a CT female but dont quote me on that but they are all really perfect together the only thing that bugs me is my chineese golden alge eater idk if that the right name but it chases my huge dragon around and they are both moving so fast i think it might stress the other out but it would trip ypu out if you see that i pretty much got my alge eater trained cause if i even walk up to the tank the alge eater stops moving completely cause one day he would it almost looked like he was trying to kill her so i was like o heck no and stuck my hand in there and chased him around and just pointed at him right in his face when he stopped moving and said loudly NO! lol and now ever time i get up walk over there he hides idc really i wanna get him outta there whats the best alge eater to put in with female bettas.... o yeah btw my females pretty much love me sooo much more since i did that they went from kinda not know what i was to being like OMG he is our protecter lol ;> and i just rinses my hand now and like they will come to me and and like rub up aginst my hand and go in my plam its awesome
CoyoteBetta22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #5 
SassyBetta

thats what i thought. what size tank is best for one female? cyz that would give each girl 2.5 gallons iif i split it and that seems small to me i think
Old 03-07-2012, 06:59 PM   #6 
LolaQuigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteBetta22 View Post
the only thing that bugs me is my chineese golden alge eater idk if that the right name but it chases my huge dragon around and they are both moving so fast i think it might stress the other out but it would trip ypu out if you see that i pretty much got my alge eater trained cause if i even walk up to the tank the alge eater stops moving completely cause one day he would it almost looked like he was trying to kill her so i was like o heck no and stuck my hand in there and chased him around and just pointed at him right in his face when he stopped moving and said loudly NO! lol and now ever time i get up walk over there he hides idc really i wanna get him outta there whats the best alge eater to put in with female bettas.... o yeah btw my females pretty much love me sooo much more since i did that they went from kinda not know what i was to being like OMG he is our protecter lol ;> and i just rinses my hand now and like they will come to me and and like rub up aginst my hand and go in my plam its awesome
I'm confused...have you removed the algae eater from your tank, and now you're wondering what algae eater would be best to replace it with? Or do you still have the CAE with your girls? Chinese Algae Eaters are not suitable tankmates for bettas (or any fish really) because they become extremely aggressive as they age, and they suck the slime coats off of other fish. They also get too large for a ten gallon.

Ottos eat algae, but they need to be kept in groups, and that would overstock your tank. Snails eat algae, but they have a huge bioload so it's kind of a tradeoff. I think there are some species of shrimp that eat algae (red cherry shrimp maybe?)--that might be something to look into. But in the meantime, you definitely need to try to rehome that CAE if you haven't already.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #7 
LolaQuigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyBetta View Post
thats what i thought. what size tank is best for one female? cyz that would give each girl 2.5 gallons iif i split it and that seems small to me i think
2.5 gallons is perfectly fine; I kept a female betta in a 2.5 gallon tank with no problem. Though females can be pretty active, so if you have the means and the space for a larger tank, I'm sure the girl(s) would enjoy a little more room. You could do a divided 10 gallon instead or just do one female in the 5 gallon if you'd like a little more space for the betta(s).
Old 03-07-2012, 07:09 PM   #8 
Myates

A split 5 gallon is just fine for two girls :)

And Coyote.. I'm sorry but I simply cannot read what you are writing, I'm just as confused as Lola..
But I do have to agree.. remove your chinese algae eater immediately. One, it will outgrow the tank and they grow fast. Two, they will start latching onto your bettas and the bigger they get, the bigger the holes they create on the fish get.. first just "hickies" as breeders like to say, then they will create holes. CAE are best kept in tanks with meaner/tougher fish such as African Cichlids.
Very very very highly recommended to remove it immediately and rehome it in a larger tank with appropriate tank mates, or to return him and stick with just your 5 females as the tank is almost at it's limit.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #9 
SassyBetta

yeah i think ill ither get just one girl or one guy i havnt decided yet. i wish i had more room for another tank but im chock out of room with my 85 gal, 10 gal and my 5 gal lol id need a bigger bedroom :P