Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2012, 09:43 PM   #1 
clhenson13

Please help asap

So I treated my betta for fin rot (he was biting on his tail and developed it) and transfered him to a 2G tank so he can have clean water. I used aquarium (1/2teaspoon) that i put in gradually and then treated him with melafix (I added like 2 drops it said 5mL per 10G). I come home today and my betta has lost his color and you can see his veins on his body where his fins begin!! HELP!! What should I do?!?!?!?

*He was in a heated 10G tank with 3 neons and a small cat fish. Heated and used a dechlorinator with added materials for bettas/ tropical fish. It is filtered and I feed him one pellet a day (hes not much of a eater). I do weekly 25-30% water changes and vacuum the gravel weekly
clhenson13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:47 PM   #2 
clhenson13

Here are pics.

The first ones are when he first started biting his fins.
and the last are lately when he lost his color.
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2012, 09:57 PM   #3 
SassyBetta

my goodness :( im not sure what to say about that. my boy had finrot and i treated him with meds and he lost a bit of his color too, i think its just something the meds do . i hope he gets better :(
SassyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:03 PM   #4 
clhenson13

I know. I have never had a fish completely lose all their color. :( It happened so quickly literally one day he still had his color and the next he is gray. Now he is a yellowish color. I have no idea what is going on. :((
Old 03-07-2012, 10:21 PM   #5 
SassyBetta

my two that got it were bright tomatoe red and black and blood red.... they both looked like silly puddy , nasty grey color :( i though they wernt gona make it but they made a full 180 and are fine, so i think its just the meds doing it to him ya know. also i could be wrong and you might wana check with one of the senior members on here but i thought i heard that ur supose to lower the temp a little while they are sick, and i know that with some meds u have to take out any carbon based filters you might have cuz it will kill the meds. so id reasearch those or ask a senior member but thats just what i heard
SassyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:25 PM   #6 
Karebear13

Did you dissolve the salt before adding it to the tank? Also I don't think Melafix is necessary someone correct me if Im wrong but I think just treating with salt is enough
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:34 PM   #7 
Tobythefish

You shouldn't use melafix. It contains tea tree oil which can harm a bettas labyrinth organ. Some people use it for bettas in low dosages, but I prefer not to take the risk. That might be why he is pale, you said he turned pale after you put the melafix in.
Tobythefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:28 PM   #8 
clhenson13

The salt was disolved and I do water changes (25%) everyday. Is that ok or should I do more? Umm he was pale already but once he was isolated he looked transparent. :( if you look at him with a light source behind him, you can see his veins and he looks yellow. However, if you look at him with the light head on he looks darker. :/ He also appears be have more color after he has been in the dark (I have had others tell me that as well). I dont know if I should try and keep him in the dark (hes not in sunlight but in my living room where its well lit). The only thing that I am sure of is that he isn't eating very much (maybe a bite of his pellet) and he is darting around the tank and swimming around just fine. ** His rips have healed :D ** but he is still pale. :(
Old 03-08-2012, 09:17 AM   #9 
ANHEL123

Don't give him melafix. How is he doing? Is he lethargic? Eating? When you treat with aquarium salt it has to be right dosage. The dosage is 1tsp/gall up to 3 tsp/gall with 100% daily water changes.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:32 AM   #10 
clhenson13

I think he is doing better. He is much less active right now than last night but his color appears to be getting better. He isn't eating and didn't even move when I fed him. :( Here are some pictures. The first one is from last night and the other ones (one without flash and the 2 with) are from literally 5 mins ago.
Attached Images