Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #21 
ANHEL123

oh wait i missed the aquarium salt. So sorry with aquarium salt you need to do daily 100% water changes. So you added 1-1.5 tsp/gall right? Karebear13 thank you.

I am wondering how many hrs you have to travel?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #22 
clhenson13

I have only had him in aq salt for 2 days now. what do you suggest???
clhenson13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:43 PM   #23 
clhenson13

I travel roughly 2 hours and its a very bumpy and turny car drive. I'm just so scared because the last time I tdoes to bring a betta home for break he died like 2 days later from shock. :((
Old 03-08-2012, 03:49 PM   #24 
Karebear13

Hi clhenson13, Anhel told me to keep an eye on your thread to see if you would respond. Anhel won't be back on the thread till tomorrow. My advice is you can contact a few people to look at your thread I would advice you to contact OFL, Sakura or Myates
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:31 PM   #25 
clhenson13

Ok I will pm them and ask them to look :) thank you so much. It all is just horrible timing. :(
Old 03-08-2012, 04:57 PM   #26 
Oldfishlady

Need a re-cap...

You suspect he is tail biting and has a secondary infection...correct....he is still eating, no buoyancy problems, swimming okay, not lethargic, he has lost color, respond to you...just the fin damage and color loss...correct.....

So far you have treated him in how much aquarium salt for how many days-in what size tank, water changes you are currently doing, any filtration, tannins used, source water information, additives used, any live plants, appetite information needed and other than the melfix any other medications beside the salt...also in the 10gal was that filtered and how much how often did you make water changes in that tank......

Can you post an up dated pic.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #27 
clhenson13

No problem! :)

I saw him biting his tail and I posted and people responded and told me it was fin rot. He had the black "bleeding" on his fins and you could see that his fins were breaking off at the tips. He also had one rip by his top fin. He is not really eating (maybe a bite here and there) I feed him the tetra beta pellets. I isolated him to a 1.5G tank (unfiltered but heated at about 76 degrees). Tuesday night I began a Melafix (2 drops) and 1/2 a teaspoon of aq salt which was pre-dissolved. I use tap water which is treated with Tetra Aquasafe conditioner and slime coat (also what I use in the 10G). Wednesday night I saw that he had lost his color and so I decided not to use the melafix. So I filled the tank with new room temp water (dechlorinated) and dissolved aq salt (1.5tsp/gallon). I then also added a stress coat. On the bottle it says that for fin treatment you should use 2tsp per 10G, I just added a drop. Since he has been isolated I have done 100% daily water changes. He was also acting lethargic and I had a feeling that he didnt enjoy the light (not direct of course) and so I placed a dark towel over him and as soon as I did that he flared up and you could see that his rip was gone and his fins were getting progressively better. In the isolation tank I have a soft moss ball that he always enjoyed laying against. In the 10G I have 2 live plants (no plastic ones) it is filtered and I do weekly 25-30% changes.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:57 PM   #28 
clhenson13

The first is when he was completely colorless and looked transparent. (Last night) and the second one is from 5 mins ago after only being in the aq salt and a day in the dark (which he seems to love)
Attached Images

Old 03-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #29 
clhenson13

Oh and he was never a big eater. He would play with his pellet take a bite, spit it out, follow it... till it was half gone. rarely would he eat it all. (i would watch him and after 10 mins I would take out the uneaten food. I feed him once a day unless he doesn't eat the first time then I feed him again.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:04 PM   #30 
Myates

OFL got here before I did.. she may have more info then I do, but from what I gathered by reading, it looks like a few things could be changed right now to try to help him immediately. Once we get his strength back, then we can work on the rot.

Gradually get him acclimated to no Melafix- cup him in the cup you got him in, or another small cup (with the water with the medication in it if he is still in there) and over a span of 20-30 minutes, remove a portion of the medicated water from the cup and replace it with clean water (empty the 2gal tank he is in with medication and fill it back up with tap water of the appropriate temp of 78-80*, and water conditioner).. keep removing some of the cup water and replacing it with the new clean water about every 5-10 minutes.
After the time limit then use a net and gently pour the cup water through the net, gently netting him and place him in the tank.

So he should be in just plain tap water with nothing added but conditioner.
Let him sit in there for at least 24 hours to help clear out his system.

After the 24 hours, let us know how he is doing.. how his color is, how his actions are, etc.

Fin rot tends not to cause a behavioral difference in them unless it has reached their body- which then you would have to go to a strong medication. I rather not jump to those just yet, but to get a better ideal on what is going on with him, I want to see how he is outside of the melfix- as a lot of medications can be harmful to their internal organs, and I want to rule out medication reaction vs an underlying issue other then the fin rot.

As OFL asked, length he was in the AQ salt.. as the amount you used really wasn't enough to do anything for the bacteria, but don't want to put him back in it if he was in there for a while, as even AQ salt has potential to cause health issues if over exposed.

You say 25-30% weekly water changes for the 10 gallon- are there live plants? If not, you may want to up it a little..
You said added "materials" for chemicals you put into the tank, along with conditioner- what is the material, and what conditioner are you using?

What sort of catfish is it?
Neons tend to be fin nippers- and with only 3, they may not feel secure with such a small number and may be after your betta, and not the betta taking a toll on his own tail.

Only feeding one pellet a day is a very very small amount, especially for a fish that is commonly called pigs. What type of pellets are you feeding him, and are you sure he isn't eating the tetra's food? I would guess no, as he looks a little on the thin side.. I would suggest getting a higher quality brand that tends to be a favorite among picky eaters- Omega One Betta Buffet, or the New Life Spectrum betta food..

-- so to recap- get him into clean water, slowly acclimating him to it.. at this point, I rather risk him leaving mid-treatment then to leave him in there.

Oldfishlady may have some other ideas on how to go about it- if so, then I would follow her wisdom :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote