Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2012, 11:57 PM   #1 
johnny151

Did I do my water change incorrectly?

3 days ago, i performed a 50% water change in my Betta's 1 gallon. it was the first time I've done it. Right now I have his new water sitting and preparing for another cleaning. I was browsing threads since I'm new here and saw for a 1 gallon a 100% water change should be done every other day...

I went to petsmart earlier today to look at some live plants and see if they had them available though i haven't purchased it yet. Out of curiosity, I asked the sales rep how many times i need to clean his 1 gallon, he said once a week

I honestly don't believe that once a week for a non filtered 1 gallon is suitable. But By me doing a 50% water change did I do more harm then good?
johnny151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:08 AM   #2 
ZergyMonster

You can do 50% water changes every day to receive a more suitable environment for your fishy friend but you will still have to do a 100% sometime during that week to clean out anything in your substrate.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:30 AM   #3 
Myates

Noooooooooooooo :P

The water can be too clean and in the long run be detrimental to the fish..

For tanks under 5 gallons, unfiltered, it is highly recommended by experienced breeders/keepers/wet vets to do 1 50% and 1 100% water change per week.

"You can have a too clean environment-you have both good and bad pathogens in the tank-by exposing the fish to all the different pathogens enable to fish to develop antibodies- that in turns helps build a strong immune response and limits stress due to too many water changes...its a balance of sorts.....healthy fish need be exposed to pathogens but at the same time maintaining water quality.....make sense......too clean and sterile like environment is not healthy......." -OFL

I use that quote, as it explains everything in a simple matter. By doing it that way, I personally have never had cases of illnesses, or any health issues to my fish (other then what one had when I purchased them). With live plants you can cut it down some- but depends on how many and of what you have.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:02 PM   #4 
johnny151

I'm planning on buying 1 java fern and letting it float and 1 anubias planted. would i still have to do 1 50 % and then 1 100%?
johnny151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:34 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

I would suggest doing so. Two slow-growing plants such as java fern and anubias are not really sucking up that much ammonia. However, you could probably get away with doing two 50% changes, one with gravel vacuuming.

To be on the safe side, I would tie the anubias to something, rather than rooting it in the substrate (a nice decorative rock, small terracotta pot cave, or a small piece of driftwood would be fine), so that it could be lifted out like the fern during 100% changes without disturbing its roots.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:49 PM   #6 
a123andpoof

Okay here is what I do with my 1 gallon with NO problems don't do so many water changes. 1 50% and 1 100% each week. Thats all that is needed.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote