Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-08-2012, 09:44 AM   #1 
a123andpoof

Tail biting

Grr...when I went to feed my fish I noticed Koi's tail looking different. I think he is biting as it doesn't look ripped, and no sign of rot.

A little backround I do approx 2 water changes a week 1 with a vaccume the other I just cup the water out. He is in a filtered 10g with two tank mates. On one side of the divider is a male, on the other side of him is a female.

He has plenty of flare time, and really loves the bridge. He has 3 plants two silk and 1 plastic. He has been in the tank over a month. His tank mate approx the same time a week or so difference between all.

His is the middle.

So what can I do to try and stop this before it gets worse? Is he maybe to stressed out by his tank mates? They didn't seem to bother him before. Could he be bored? The only change I can think of is me spending less time in my room then before. Otherwise no changes.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:06 PM   #2 
gabrielle09

I've been having the same problem with one of my fish. He is a doubletail and is in a divided tank. His tankmate is a halfmoon female. I didn't have the space for both at the time because I was only expecting the one fish and my boyfriend surprised me with two. I gave them plenty of hiding places so they didn't have to look at each and at first I thought the set up would be a go but now my halfmoon female seems to be annoying my male so I've had to move him into his own private tank. He seems to be calmer and his tail seems to be getting better. He is also swimming around a lot more. I'm thinking maybe your fish is a little stressed by his company. Also I had another double tail that was a tail biter. What I did with him was keep him in a one gallon tank and make sure that he could always see me. That seemed to curb his biting. I think he got lonely by himself. I hope that helps. :)
gabrielle09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:09 PM   #3 
Sena Hansler

Some bettas just cannot be in a divided tank. El Dorado would bite his fins, until I removed the divider and the other betta. Now, he is fine. :/ Some bettas "trim" their tails if it is too heavy or too long. Others gets stressed without seeing you lol.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #4 
a123andpoof

For over a month he seemed fine even with the company and unstressed. He didn't bite off much, just trimmed but I doubt it's too heavy its very thin and clear but a little long. I am thinking about moving him to a 1 gallon as that's all I have at the moment, though I wanted to keep them open so I could start getting girls for an upcoming sorority. And I only have 1 extra heater. I guess I could keep a girl in my 10g. Maybe I should try spending more time in my room? Grr I don't know what to do.
I guess other than adding stress coat to heal the fins I will try to maybe spend an extra hour or two in my room and see if that helps. If after a week I am still noticing a problem I will try moving him to his own tank.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:00 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

With Crayola, his tail was super long (almost doubled his body length before he chopped it back) but thin. I guess he wanted a "hair cut" Could you have him in another room that has more activity? El Dorado is in my living room because he prefers seeing people often.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:25 PM   #6 
a123andpoof

Nope. I still live with my parents and my mom doesn't allow fish upstairs unless its for a short time like a week or two. So he has to stay in my room. For a while I was in my room a lot, but then I started spending more time in the living room.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

Do you have a TV in your room? weird thought but it works. Shiloh watches TV... or movies. So does my guinea pig Shaggy. :/ -sigh- typical boys.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:42 PM   #8 
Silverfang

Some bettas will bite because it will make you scream, that is the case with my boy.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:37 PM   #9 
a123andpoof

lol no tv sadly. For some reason my sister got one and I didn't.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:25 PM   #10 
thekoimaiden

I hate tail-biting incidents because they are so variable. If the only thing that changed was the time you spent in your room, I would venture to say that was the cause. I have boys that tail-bite when I go away on vacation. And I have one tail biter who does it for kicks and giggles. Maybe try moving some stuff around in his tank. Best of luck with him!
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote