Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-08-2012, 10:49 AM   #1 
Sena Hansler

My thought on religion...(NO arguing :) )

I was just thinking... Three scenarios.

1. There is a God. I die, and unfortunately for me it's... the catholic god my nana preaches of. Well darn I'm going to the OTHER PLACE Because her version, says one sin sends you straight there, having muslim friends sends you there, learning religions sends you there (......).

Or another version, would be ...purgatory. I'd be stuck in there. I like this version better (although not keen on the suffering part...but hey, at least it wouldn't be for eternity).

Then there are religions that don't actually have their god(s) condemn you. "All forgiving" or "All merciful" if you feel bad about your sins, every single one (imagine standing at the pearly gates, going through all the bad things you did and seeing if you feel bad ) then you are scot-free.

2. reincarnation. First, I thought, hey, that'd be cool. But then instantly my heart dropped, when I realized I would not remember a single person in my life that I have now. Actually, that thought, really hurt. Because generally n the thought of reincarnation, you don't remember anything from your past life (or lives). I know I wouldn't care then because I wouldn't remember them, but NOW I care D:

Or what if... I am reincarnated into something my current self doesn't like? A snobby rich kid? Living in the very heart of a war zone? Being raised as a mercenary? D: Again, I know I wouldn't care then because I wouldn't remember... "But I care NOW!"

3. No God. No reincarnation. No anything. Well. That was a waste of life. Personally, I think. If we're "all important" well obviously only the super smart ones make a difference, or even matter. Ones who died in battle have their names on a wall or rock, scientists have their own books or mentions in text books, and the average joe well you DON'T matter, you DON'T make a difference, not even a dent. After life there is nothing, therefore you are nothing.
d-e-p-r-e-s-s-i-n-g.
Sena Hansler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:20 PM   #2 
GreenTea

3. No God. No reincarnation. No anything. Well. That means you have one life, one world, and one set of experiences. Because of that, everything is precious, you always do your best, and appreciate things that are done for you. Everyone matters, every thing they do matters and has an effect on the world. Progress science makes, sacrifices soldiers make, matter more than if any religion were accurate, because it is a TRUE sacrifice, there is no magical happy place afterwards. You are made from stardust, you are part of a universe, the fact that you're here today is amazing and you have a chance to make the world better, even in a small way.

Fix'd that for you.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:28 PM   #3 
Laki

^+100 I'm of the side of the fence where what does it matter what MAY happen. Focus on the NOW!! And make each day count.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:33 PM   #4 
styggian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTea View Post
3. No God. No reincarnation. No anything. Well. That means you have one life, one world, and one set of experiences. Because of that, everything is precious, you always do your best, and appreciate things that are done for you. Everyone matters, every thing they do matters and has an effect on the world. Progress science makes, sacrifices soldiers make, matter more than if any religion were accurate, because it is a TRUE sacrifice, there is no magical happy place afterwards. You are made from stardust, you are part of a universe, the fact that you're here today is amazing and you have a chance to make the world better, even in a small way.

Fix'd that for you.
A+ Absolutely. I don't understand why agnosticism or atheism automatically means everything is worthless.

Personally, I like being stardust. That's so much more amazing to me that my atoms came from a flipping STAR than from anywhere else.

GreenTea, do you read Phil Plait? He just posted a vid of Neil Tyson saying just that (tho originally it was Carl Sagan who said it first. And Earth is a mote of dust on a sunbeam XD).
styggian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:41 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

Well I'm spiritual. Not religious, mind you as most of the religious people scare the bugeezus out of me x.x

Cannot really fix someone's opinion it's opinion lol. (although in school they mark you wrong for your opinion after asking for it! ) I wouldn't post a "you are all wrong and I am right" I'd be worse than my preacher granny :/ Although I would admit if reincarnation existed, and you had a chance to remember a past life I totally would >.>

I personally love learning different religions and cultures. Because well, that's me. I like to learn, ask questions and (hopefully) get answers. For instance, my nana gets mad at me when I ask "Why is Jesus the King of Jews, is arabic, but is catholic?" apparently, those questions are bad (but no seriously, why is he??)
Sena Hansler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:06 PM   #6 
GreenTea

Because it's an ancient story retold and translated literally hundreds of times with various books left out and a serious out of date moral code? Just my guess.

I guess if you want to have the opinion that everything is worthless, that's great for you.

No I haven't Styg, haven't had time to do much but survive lately unfortunately.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:18 PM   #7 
styggian

GreenTea, if you do get some time, Phil Plait's blog is fantastic if you're interested is astronomy. It's here: http://mblogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/
Old 03-08-2012, 03:19 PM   #8 
styggian

And I know what you mean. It's been a struggle for me, too. My cats and fish keep me going.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:21 PM   #9 
FishyFishy89

I am raised in a catholic/christian home. My in laws are catholic and my family are christian. However, my catholic and christian views believe in an all merciful and forgiving god. I believe in being pardoned in your sins. Because not everyone is perfect. Even your priests commit some sort of sin. Everyone deserves to be forgiven. Especially since in the bible it says to forgive and forget all wrongs done to you.
However, right now I am in a rut on forgiving a close friend because she falsely reported me to the police for stealing a saddle worth more than $1,000. BTW I am proven innocent and she hasn't apologized to me.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:30 PM   #10 
Leeniex

I went to 12 years of Catholic school and I stopped bringing my kids to church when our priest bought himself a million dollar (literally) house with parish money. I believe our loved ones are waiting for us "over there" and I have my reasons. I just don't believe in organized religion. I think it's more of a business, at least in my area.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote