Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-13-2012, 01:37 AM   #91 
dramaqueen
Banned

I believe in the big bang theory. God made the big bang when He created the earth.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:57 AM   #92 
Sakura8

Well-said, MrVampire. And yes, one of the biggest problems I have with organized religiion, ie, Christianity, is how they have treated homosexuals. I was taught that God loves us all, no matter what. "Hate the sin, not the sinner," is what I was taught. If Christians want others to view God as merciful and loving, then we as Christians need to be accurate representations of the god we believe in. Hating and condemning someone is not the way to do it.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:12 AM   #93 
freemike

I'm an atheist. I don't really argue about it but do feel strongly about this. Hey you can believe anything you want ust don't try to impose your beliefs on others. I haven't had any personal experience that would convince me there is something out there greater and all evidence points to nil. I'm an agnostic to a certain point. I think we all are as we truly do not know all of the universe's secrets. This makes life very special to me it's the only one that I KNOW I have for sure.

That being said if I do turn out to be wrong; a just god would judge a man of his character and actions, not beliefs. I hardly find comfort in a god that would be tethered to petty human emotions and lacking in self confidence. I mean how much self confidence could an entity have if it gets upset with something for not believing. I also would not worship a god of this character even if it did guarantee me a ticket to an eternal heaven. I have better principles than that.

My deconversion is also where I get my screen name from... I have never felt this free in my life until I let go of a belief in god. I know some people need god and that's cool. It's just not for me.

Last edited by freemike; 03-13-2012 at 02:18 AM.
freemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:07 AM   #94 
Sena Hansler

Sakura, she went to college with the president of World Vision? that's pretty cool

And Dramaqueen... I watch Big Bang Theory :/ LOL.

you know what is sad? I am dating a Jehovah Witness - no no that is not the sad part, the sad part is how I will be ridiculed by my catholic family dare they find out. Now, my bf is NOT Jehovah, just born into it, like I was with christianity. But God (whichever version LOL) forbid them to be together. there'll be a war LOL. or tension. or both. ugh. -.-
I won't pick a god, a religion, or a belief. I'll believe in what I want to, how I want to, when I want to. I don't even care if his name is Allah, Jehovah, _______ (jewish), or just plain "god". If god IS real, well I persoanlly believe all the religions derived from each other, and that god wouldn't damn billions of people for "wrong religion".
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:12 PM   #95 
tpocicat

I am LDS, God loves all of us very much, more than we can know. All life is precious animal and human. That's it.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:39 PM   #96 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Sakura, she went to college with the president of World Vision? that's pretty cool

And Dramaqueen... I watch Big Bang Theory :/ LOL.

you know what is sad? I am dating a Jehovah Witness - no no that is not the sad part, the sad part is how I will be ridiculed by my catholic family dare they find out. Now, my bf is NOT Jehovah, just born into it, like I was with christianity. But God (whichever version LOL) forbid them to be together. there'll be a war LOL. or tension. or both. ugh. -.-
I won't pick a god, a religion, or a belief. I'll believe in what I want to, how I want to, when I want to. I don't even care if his name is Allah, Jehovah, _______ (jewish), or just plain "god". If god IS real, well I persoanlly believe all the religions derived from each other, and that god wouldn't damn billions of people for "wrong religion".
My mom's real family was Jehovah until about 10 years ago. It caused a few problems when my mom found her real family since her adopted family is Catholic. But they eventually got over it and my mom's blood family re-converted to Catholicism. I think it turns into a problem your Catholic family needs to take a look at the Church itself. I think anything forbidding someone to be together by a Church is insane. Catholics don't forbid it so I would assume it's a Jehovah thing.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:36 PM   #97 
Bombalurina

I'm sorry to any I may offend like this, but I don't understand how someone can believe in God and the Bible AND evolution at the same time. The whole story of the bible is that humans can't better themselves - we need God to do it. We (humans as a species) were created perfect and then fell, which is the reason we need salvation. If we started as amoeba and then continued to improve, to the point where we were as we are now, there was no fall and thus no need for salvation, thus no need for Christ's death and resurrection...thus the whole story of Christianity makes no sense.

I can't accept evolution as a theory on scientific grounds. What I've written above was explained to me long after I arrived at that conclusion. I think anyone interested in this sort of thing should read "God's Undertaker: Has Science Buried God?" by John C Lennox (mathematician at Oxford and worked on the human genome project).
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:29 PM   #98 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Huh.. well if we were ameoba's or whatever, we improved, but then as humans we fell when we lost faith?
I don't know. I believe both things but don't like to think about it too much hahahahaah. It's the way to go about these things. ;)
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:47 AM   #99 
Bombalurina

See, I don't think that's true. I don't think you should hold a belief if you aren't prepared to examine it. This could be me as a law student talking, but I think you can't trust what you believe if you haven't put plenty of thought into it. That's leads to poorly thought-out decisions and, in a lot of cases, religious ignorance and intolerance. It also leads to you being more influenced by other people rather than being able to rely on your own thoughts.
I also think your beliefs will be weaker - if you haven't examined it yourself, how will it stand up to scrutinty from others? I have atheists to thank for my faith for challenging me to analyse it carefully. I wouldn't feel intellectually honest if I hadn't.

That's my many cents. :p
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:55 AM   #100 
LittleBettaFish

I'm an atheist, but I am more than happy to let other people have their own views and beliefs as long as they do not impede on my own rights.

I remember one time a group of religious people came to my door and wanted to share a bible reading. I simply told them that I was an atheist and wished them a nice day.

I felt sad that they actually looked surprised by my response and they thanked me before heading off.

I wondered how many people had hurled abuse at them for their beliefs when a polite but firm 'no thanks' is all it takes.

Some atheists are just as rabid as some of the people they oppose. Sure I find the whole notion of there being some omnipresent creator absurd, but that doesn't mean I'm going to put down someone who draws strength from their belief in God.

The only issue I have is with the indoctrination of young children, particularly into the more fundamental groups. A child should not be encouraged to spout hateful slogans on subjects they are too young to fully comprehend. That is the ugly side of most organised religions, and it is something I wish to one day see stamped out.

Forgot to add, I also think religion has no place in politics. That is why a lot of countries such as Iraq and Afghanistan are never going to work as successful democracies.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote