Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-08-2012, 03:55 PM   #11 
GreenTea
Member
 
GreenTea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
FishyFish, you can believe what you want, but that god in your book is nowhere close to merciful or forgiving. The guy in this youtube video makes my issues with it clear. If you look outside, read the newspaper, and see any sort of perfect world where theres a perfect, loving being looking out for all of us? Sorry, but that's delusion. I'm really sorry your friend is accusing you of that. That's horrible!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=VY2u7JZck_I
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:43 PM   #12 
MaisyDawgThirteen
Member
 
MaisyDawgThirteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canada
I am catholic, but I love to research on other religions. I find it really fascinating. (: I think that it is important to make up what YOU think, and not necessarily believing EVERYTHING in a holy book like the Quran or the Bible.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:18 PM   #13 
FishyFishy89
Member
 
FishyFishy89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTea View Post
FishyFish, you can believe what you want, but that god in your book is nowhere close to merciful or forgiving. The guy in this youtube video makes my issues with it clear. If you look outside, read the newspaper, and see any sort of perfect world where theres a perfect, loving being looking out for all of us? Sorry, but that's delusion. I'm really sorry your friend is accusing you of that. That's horrible!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=VY2u7JZck_I
It is the belief I am raised with. To me you are saying my belief is wrong. Am I saying your belief is wrong? I wouldn't EVER say anyone's belief is wrong.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:42 PM   #14 
MaisyDawgThirteen
Member
 
MaisyDawgThirteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
It is the belief I am raised with. To me you are saying my belief is wrong. Am I saying your belief is wrong? I wouldn't EVER say anyone's belief is wrong.
+1 That does sound like a put-down to Fishy's beliefs.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:51 PM   #15 
Bombalurina
Member
 
Bombalurina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
It is the belief I am raised with. To me you are saying my belief is wrong. Am I saying your belief is wrong? I wouldn't EVER say anyone's belief is wrong.
In the end, you have to say someone's belief is wrong. They can't all be right, especially when some of them are totally contradictory. I mean, Christians say there is a God, atheists say there isn't - they can't both be right. Christians say Jesus died for our sins and rose again, Muslims says he was just a prophet. They can't both be right.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:57 PM   #16 
GreenTea
Member
 
GreenTea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
No, I'm saying that you can believe whatever you want, and that is right for you. If you believe there's an all loving god that's cool with me. I'm saying, if you believe the god in the bible is a loving, forgiving, un-jealous god, THAT is simply inaccurate.

If you read the bible, you'll find that satan kills 10 people, god kills an estimated 2.5 million, stones people to death, punishes rapists by "making" them marry their victims, tell men to kill their own sons just to say lol jk, and a bunch of other horrible, contradictory, violent and angry things. It literally says he is a jealous god. In the 10 commandments? Nothing about rape, pedophilia, arson, etc. It says you shouldn't covet and have no gods before him. Doesn't sound like he has his priorities right to me. Also, why would he create a world for us that is 70% salt water, never show himself, kill off entire groups of animals and civilizations, allow disease to run rampant, allow to bible to be changed and translated, allow for other equally influential religions to exist, and the list goes on and on and on, if he is a perfect being? Logically, none of it makes sense, and that's on top of all the obvious and literal contradictions, redundancies, and atrocities in the bible.

It would be cool if there was a perfect creator who we could all know, who didn't need us to wake up early or give him money, and we lived in a world of forgiveness, but like I've said, look out your window. This isn't it honey.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:08 PM   #17 
Bombalurina
Member
 
Bombalurina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Australia
GreenTea, that kind of thing is very inflammatory and this forum probably isn't the best place for it. I'd be happy to get in a friendly debate with you on the subject, though, if you don't mind me PMing you. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:25 PM   #18 
Olympia
TFK Moderator
 
Olympia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Woo I'm so different from everyone here..
I'm more of a spiritualist.. I believe in spirits. I don't know where they go or what they do. I believe that communication with them is possible. I don't know if it is just one life, or reincarnation. I believe that your time on earth is too short to judge your fate for eternity.. There is no devil. God exists.. he does not punish, he does not reward, he does not have any effect in our lives. He isn't even a he. God to me is just more of an ancient force.. It may have started the big bang or something, but now it does nothing.. The earth is 6 something billion years old, it moves in flows, waves of lava in the beginning, now waves of life. Everything has a rhythm and a motion to it, the clouds the winds the water. We are all part of nature's motions (being out of touch with it now is really not that great of a thing). The moon controls our tides, but it also controls the body of every living thing, and plants as well. Not totally comfortable saying this, everyone puts it down- but I think every life is equal, people aren't superior to anything, we all die, go back into the earth, our body becomes a new life, our soul goes, somewhere.
It's kind of hard to explain, probably because it's what I personally believe and it's not really any sort of religion. I think both ends of religion-atheism are terrifying. I strongly believe in evolution and such- and yet I can't imagine believing that after my death there will just be nothing. :/
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:44 PM   #19 
FishyFishy89
Member
 
FishyFishy89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTea View Post
No, I'm saying that you can believe whatever you want, and that is right for you. If you believe there's an all loving god that's cool with me. I'm saying, if you believe the god in the bible is a loving, forgiving, un-jealous god, THAT is simply inaccurate.

If you read the bible, you'll find that satan kills 10 people, god kills an estimated 2.5 million, stones people to death, punishes rapists by "making" them marry their victims, tell men to kill their own sons just to say lol jk, and a bunch of other horrible, contradictory, violent and angry things. It literally says he is a jealous god. In the 10 commandments? Nothing about rape, pedophilia, arson, etc. It says you shouldn't covet and have no gods before him. Doesn't sound like he has his priorities right to me. Also, why would he create a world for us that is 70% salt water, never show himself, kill off entire groups of animals and civilizations, allow disease to run rampant, allow to bible to be changed and translated, allow for other equally influential religions to exist, and the list goes on and on and on, if he is a perfect being? Logically, none of it makes sense, and that's on top of all the obvious and literal contradictions, redundancies, and atrocities in the bible.

It would be cool if there was a perfect creator who we could all know, who didn't need us to wake up early or give him money, and we lived in a world of forgiveness, but like I've said, look out your window. This isn't it honey.
I am not here to argue what is right and what is wrong.
It is my belief and that is your belief. End of discussion.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:53 PM   #20 
Badjer
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Michigan, USA
I like your ideas Olympia. Sort of similar to my own. I was raised Christian baptist, but at a young age put my foot down and said "No more church!" mainly because I was rebellious, and liked to sleep in on Sundays. Not to mention, the church we were at gave me no friends. Nearly all the girls were home schooled, and they had their little cliques. None of the kids my age went to my school and church just wasn't a good experience for me.

My town is a small, very Christian town. Literally, there's a church on nearly every corner downtown. I'm not an atheist, I'm not a Christian. No one is right, no one is wrong. Why? Because I believe that if there is a god, he or she or it, made us all equal. If not, we owe it to our fellow beings to consider ourselves as equals. I hate hearing any religious slander or disrespect. To be honest, even this thread makes me uncomfortable because I hate religious debate. Why people think religious bashing is ok, while sitting high and mighty on their pedestals insisting that racism, bullying, or being sexist, etc. is just wrong is beyond me. Is it not all the same? In the grand scheme of things, what you believe probably matters less than how you view other people. For all we know, every god could be the same, manifesting itself through many forms. If faith is your thing, fine! If you're not a believer, that's fine too. You don't have to keep your views to yourself, but keep them polite and respectful. My mother's a Christian baptist, my dad is an atheist, my boyfriend is a catholic, several of my friends are buddahist...I refuse to stick myself in any religion. That's my choice. I don't see why I can't believe in a variety of everything. I'm sure in some way or another, we're all right.

That was ridiculously long...anyways, continue on with your life. XD
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thought it was a She Noko Betta Fish Care 14 07-01-2011 07:31 PM
ok I thought it was ick..... BettaHeart Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 17 01-28-2011 06:10 PM
I never thought but..New boy!! PewPewPew Betta Pictures 11 01-15-2011 10:22 PM
So thought someone else could use this... StayyyFlyyy Betta Fish Care 6 11-07-2010 02:04 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.