Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-08-2012, 12:04 PM   #1 
JBosley

Smallest tank for 3 Males?

Hey!
So I am picking up 2 new lovely males this weekend And already have a male at home. Right now one will be in a 1 gallon tank, and the other two will each have their own 2 gallon tanks! Each is heated to a nice 78F and everything is ready to go.

I want to eventually upgrade to a divided tank, with a filter! What would be the smallest tank I could have, divided, for my 3 boys? And where should the filter go?
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #2 
MrVampire181

10 gallon. And just get a sponge filter to avoid one of them being thrown around.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:42 PM   #3 
JBosley

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
10 gallon. And just get a sponge filter to avoid one of them being thrown around.
Thanks! I'll start pricing everything. Should I just have 1 heater?
Old 03-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #4 
a123andpoof

10 gallons, a filter, and 1 heater. The filter you can baffle and it works well. I don't know what filter I have its a little small but it works fine. I just do 2 water changes instead of 1 for 3 fish. But if you have a good filter you probably only need the 1.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:27 PM   #5 
JBosley

Quote:
Originally Posted by a123andpoof View Post
10 gallons, a filter, and 1 heater. The filter you can baffle and it works well. I don't know what filter I have its a little small but it works fine. I just do 2 water changes instead of 1 for 3 fish. But if you have a good filter you probably only need the 1.
Thanks! So both the heater and filter should go in the middle? I've never had a divided tank! Sorry for all the questions
Old 03-09-2012, 11:48 AM   #6 
a123andpoof

That would probably be best as it will distrubute the water a bit more evenly. I have mine on the end I know it's not the most recommended but it works for me and I think it would stress my guy in the middle out.
Also use craft mesh or dividers with small holes so that the water can flow to all parts of the tank.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:26 PM   #7 
JBosley

Quote:
That would probably be best as it will distrubute the water a bit more evenly. I have mine on the end I know it's not the most recommended but it works for me and I think it would stress my guy in the middle out.
Also use craft mesh or dividers with small holes so that the water can flow to all parts of the tank.
Thanks! I want to do mesh dividers. If I end up doing a divided tank!
Old 03-09-2012, 05:30 PM   #8 
a123andpoof

I like my divided tank, they just don't look as nice, though mine could use a major facelift. Hopefully when I move
Old 03-09-2012, 05:47 PM   #9 
JBosley

Quote:
I like my divided tank, they just don't look as nice, though mine could use a major facelift. Hopefully when I move
Yeah I'm debating between a divided tank or just getting 3, 2 gallon tanks... ahhh well lols it won't be for a while anyways.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #10 
a123andpoof

I would do the ten gallon. Less water changes and easier to maintain. My personal opinion of course.