Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2012, 09:14 PM   #1 
freemike

Another Cycling problem did I ruin my filter media...

Ugh my tanks have completely stopped cycling. I got a nitrite reading about 2 weeks ago and then some nitrates. I did a change the substrate since then to sand. After I got the substrate and a PWC I dosed the ammonia right into the filter. It's a whisper internal filter. Since then my cycle has been frozen; do I need to start all over? I did some water changes to remove the nitrates and nitrites that were in the water. I even got desperate enough to throw some Safestart in the tank since the freeze about 4 days ago. So now I have been stuck with ammonia and it's not budging at all. Any ideas?

Last edited by freemike; 03-07-2012 at 09:17 PM.
freemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:16 PM   #2 
freemike

Come on someone has to have something... Everything was going so well I don't get how changing the substrate brought it to a stand still.
(shameless bump I'm so frustrated....)
Old 03-08-2012, 11:32 PM   #3 
thekoimaiden

Sorry you've been having trouble with your cycle, Mike. Changing the substrate would have an effect on the cycle as that is where most of the good bacteria grows. This would set your cycle back. I'm also a little worried about the dumping the ammonia directly in the filter. Ammonia is toxic and will kill bacteria in high concentrations. I'm really sorry, but you possibly restarted your cycle.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:40 PM   #4 
freemike

This is going to sound bad but that was the most convenient place to throw it in. Yeah I'm pretty certain that I have reset it. I'm just concerned that I've ruined the media for bacteria growth with the ammonia being dosed into the filter. As I've had the tank set up and running with the sand for a week now and last time with gravel by this time I had at least a trace of nitrites.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:49 PM   #5 
thekoimaiden

I don't think tossing the ammonia in the filter would ruin it forever. Do you have a carbon filter or is it just some type of media like floss or bio-balls? Do you know the ammonia concentration in the tank? Sometimes if it is a bit high it will inhibit bacterial growth.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:56 PM   #6 
freemike

I got it down to 3.0 after having it at 5 possibly 8. I have the tetra internal whisper filter cartridge. I imagine the carbon is dead in it.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:52 AM   #7 
Sakura8

Don't worry about the carbon, it doesn't matter at all.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:39 AM   #8 
Oldfishlady

What kind of testing products are you using, what are the numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH on the tank and the source water without any additives.
What size tank, water temp, any live plants, what is the finial stocking plan for the tank, have you cleaned or changed the filter media, how many days has the tank been running......you are using pure ammonia for the ammonia source correct....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:53 AM   #9 
freemike

Yeah the levels are 0 on my tap water for all three. The tank is currently at 3.0 ammonia and 0 for the "N's". The tank is at 83*. The PH is around 7.6. It's been a week since I changed the substrate and did not touch the filter media. The ammonia is the ammonia clear 360 home brand from food lion. It's clear with no scents and when you shake it doesn't foam or bubble. The only ingredient listed is Ammonium Hydroxide..
Old 03-09-2012, 12:07 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

What size tank and what is the finial stocking plan, do you have any live plants in the tank, additives used-What kind of testing products-what is the source water-well water, tap water...etc....and if city supplied tap water-do you have any type of home filter system or water softener on the tap...the filter is running all the time....

Is this your first time to cycle and do you understand the nitrogen cycle-I ask so I know what info to give you...also, is this your only freshwater tank or do you have another filtered tank that you can seed from...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote