Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-14-2014, 07:49 PM   #1 
Luxer

Should I put my betta in his tank yet?

Hi everyone! I'm a new betta owner and I really want to do my best to take care of my little guy here. I have a 3 gallon tank with a filter and a preset marina 10w heater. The filter and heater have been running for 2 days now but what concerns me is that in the morning, the tank temperature is 75.6 degrees and throughout the day the temperature gradually increases to 77 degrees (and I'm still not entirely happy with that temperature. I'd like to have it a a constant 78). I read that the preset heater I have isn't very constant in keeping temperature so I ordered a hydor 25w adjustable heater that should be delivered in 3 days. But Slayer here has already been in his store cup for 3 days now getting daily water changes and he's very active so I hate to see him swimming round in little circles stuck in that tiny cup because of me.

So my question is, is it safe enough for me to put Slayer in his new tank with the temperature fluctuating 2 degrees throughout the day until the other heater comes in? Maybe it's a silly question, but I don't know and I don't want to stress him out or worse.
Luxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:05 PM   #2 
Luxer

Here are a couple pictures of the little guy.
Attached Images

Old 02-14-2014, 08:20 PM   #3 
BettasRSweeties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxer View Post
Hi everyone! I'm a new betta owner and I really want to do my best to take care of my little guy here. I have a 3 gallon tank with a filter and a preset marina 10w heater. The filter and heater have been running for 2 days now but what concerns me is that in the morning, the tank temperature is 75.6 degrees and throughout the day the temperature gradually increases to 77 degrees (and I'm still not entirely happy with that temperature. I'd like to have it a a constant 78). I read that the preset heater I have isn't very constant in keeping temperature so I ordered a hydor 25w adjustable heater that should be delivered in 3 days. But Slayer here has already been in his store cup for 3 days now getting daily water changes and he's very active so I hate to see him swimming round in little circles stuck in that tiny cup because of me.

So my question is, is it safe enough for me to put Slayer in his new tank with the temperature fluctuating 2 degrees throughout the day until the other heater comes in? Maybe it's a silly question, but I don't know and I don't want to stress him out or worse.
For sure. I have the marina 8w and with this heater, I had to put it the tank and not plug it in for 15 min, so it adusts to the water temp first (preset), and when they are new like this, it takes about three days to reach it's optimal temp. Float you're betta in it's cup for about an 1 hr. ( slower is better). After this continue to float and add a half shot glass or do this with something similar, of the tank water to his cup and wait 30 min. Repeat this process 3 times. On the floor around/below the tank, place paper towels get a net and a container to pour old cup water in. Place cup above container, the net over cup and gently pour you're betta into net, cover net right away with you're hand so betta does not jump out. If he does he will be close to the floor and land on the paper towels. And continue to take frequent water temp. OOH!! and enjoy you're new baby. Hope all goes good.
BettasRSweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:39 PM   #4 
Luxer

Yeah, I let the heater sit in there for at least 10 minutes before starting it up on the first day. Thank you for your help! :D
Old 02-14-2014, 08:57 PM   #5 
beautiful Betta

I would add him strait away, the temperature fluctuation will occur gradually and will not be an issue for him.

I agree with the above post about floating the cup in your tank but not with the time scale, once it has floated about 15 minutes check with your finger the temperature in the cup and the tank, if it feels the same, you are ok to start adding tank water gradually, again I think 15 minutes between adding water is plenty of time and you will probably only be able to add about two cups into his cup anyway. The fish will stress out more the longer left in his cup if he can see a nice big tank, so moving him quicker and safely is preferable in my opinion. And I strongly disagree with netting him, it is not necessary just tip the cup on its side after the above and let him swim out of his own free will, that will be much less stressful than netting him up.
Good Luck with him and post some pics when he is in his tank.
beautiful Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:55 PM   #6 
BettasRSweeties

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautiful Betta View Post
I would add him strait away, the temperature fluctuation will occur gradually and will not be an issue for him.

I agree with the above post about floating the cup in your tank but not with the time scale, once it has floated about 15 minutes check with your finger the temperature in the cup and the tank, if it feels the same, you are ok to start adding tank water gradually, again I think 15 minutes between adding water is plenty of time and you will probably only be able to add about two cups into his cup anyway. The fish will stress out more the longer left in his cup if he can see a nice big tank, so moving him quicker and safely is preferable in my opinion. And I strongly disagree with netting him, it is not necessary just tip the cup on its side after the above and let him swim out of his own free will, that will be much less stressful than netting him up.
Good Luck with him and post some pics when he is in his tank.
I do you're time scale when I'm doing water changes only. And I don't think it advisable to add store cup water into the existing tank for obvious reasons. The betta fish becomes more stressed the quicker it is introduced to new situations. And my method of netting... Was not to net at all, but to simply gently pour him in the net and place the net in the tank to let betta swim out on it's own.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:13 PM   #7 
beautiful Betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettasRSweeties View Post
I do you're time scale when I'm doing water changes only. And I don't think it advisable to add store cup water into the existing tank for obvious reasons. The betta fish becomes more stressed the quicker it is introduced to new situations. And my method of netting... Was not to net at all, but to simply gently pour him in the net and place the net in the tank to let betta swim out on it's own.
I don't understand the water change comment, when you do a water change it is not necessary to remove the fish, from the tank and shouldn't be changing an massive amount anyway that requires such drastic action unless you have a small tank and do 100% water changes.

And has far as adding his water from the cup into the tank he has been living in his cup alone for a while anyway with no problems, and he is being added into a one fish tank anyway so there is no other fish that can become infected. so there is no risk, netting him will damage him more, remove his protective layer, probably damage fins, its not necessary to net him in these circumstances.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:47 PM   #8 
BettasRSweeties

Quote:
I don't understand the water change comment, when you do a water change it is not necessary to remove the fish, from the tank and shouldn't be changing an massive amount anyway that requires such drastic action unless you have a small tank and do 100% water changes.

And has far as adding his water from the cup into the tank he has been living in his cup alone for a while anyway with no problems, and he is being added into a one fish tank anyway so there is no other fish that can become infected. so there is no risk, netting him will damage him more, remove his protective layer, probably damage fins, its not necessary to net him in these circumstances.
Water changes and you're(time scale) referred to just that, 15 min. adding new water to tank for partial changes (The fish is not removed). The water from the cup that the betta has been living in from the store? it is possible the ammonia level could be unsafe and a lot of pet stores use tank water from other fish to do water changes for betta's in they're cups. Less water from the store, means less bacteria, parasites.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:03 PM   #9 
beautiful Betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettasRSweeties View Post
Water changes and you're(time scale) referred to just that, 15 min. adding new water to tank for partial changes (The fish is not removed). The water from the cup that the betta has been living in from the store? it is possible the ammonia level could be unsafe and a lot of pet stores use tank water from other fish to do water changes for betta's in they're cups. Less water from the store, means less bacteria, parasites.
I am still not quite sure what you are going on about regarding water changes.

But if you actually read the thread again, the cup has been having daily water changes so the fish has not been sat in the store water all this time. Going back to netting, so you are gently tipping the fish into the net, but it still means the fish is out of water, causing stress possible flapping around, and you suggest putting the net in the tank water and letting him swim out, which by your reckoning any parasites that were in the cup water are now in the tank anyway if you put the net in the tank. And with a much more stressed out fish possible damaged fins making the fish more prone to a parasite infection!
Old 02-14-2014, 11:42 PM   #10 
BettasRSweeties

Quote:
I am still not quite sure what you are going on about regarding water changes.

But if you actually read the thread again, the cup has been having daily water changes so the fish has not been sat in the store water all this time. Going back to netting, so you are gently tipping the fish into the net, but it still means the fish is out of water, causing stress possible flapping around, and you suggest putting the net in the tank water and letting him swim out, which by your reckoning any parasites that were in the cup water are now in the tank anyway if you put the net in the tank. And with a much more stressed out fish possible damaged fins making the fish more prone to a parasite infection!
Let's ask the the forum for the opinions? I will leave this up to you to start a thread, since we have such a heated view of opinion.

Tags
betta, fluctuating, temperature, water