Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-08-2012, 10:43 PM   #1 
Hatchet

Cleaning Left Over food

Hello, first thread, first fish, hooray. I've never owned a fish before, I kind of feel like I jumped into it with only half an eye open, which probably wasn't the cleverest move in the world, but I'm doing my best to make up for it!

This may seem silly, but everything I've read says to only give the betta what it can eat in a few minutes (different labels say three, five, or 'several') and to remove the leftovers so they don't rot.

My question is, how do you remove what's left?

The day I first got him, I gave him some pellets, then realized I gave him way too much and quickly started picking and fishing them out with the net. Then I researched some more and saw a couple of sites mentioned pellets can cause digestive upset, and suggested some frozen foods, bloodworms and brine shrimp among them, so I got that. He was a riot when I put the first cube of frozen worms in, and I watched him for several minutes, but the bits he didn't eat quick enough eventually sank to the bottom and I did my best to pick those out too, but I don't want his every meal to be followed by an invasion of my arm!

So what's the trick?
Hatchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:14 PM   #2 
thekoimaiden

Welcome to the forum and the hobby! You sound like you are off to a good start with feeding your boy frozen foods. High quality pellets can be a good staple diet. It's the lower quality ones that cause trouble.

To remove uneaten food I use a turkey baster. I just stick it in the gravel where the food fell and suck it up. It does the trick every time!
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:26 PM   #3 
Hatchet

That sounds a lot easier than picking it out with my fingers! Thanks! Would you recommend breaking the cubes into halves if he continues to let so many pieces float away?
Old 03-09-2012, 12:06 AM   #4 
thekoimaiden

Oh yes. Most people break them into 4ths. Betta stomachs are only about as big as their eyes. Don't want to overstuff him!
Old 03-09-2012, 12:11 AM   #5 
Hatchet

Good to know! There's no expiration date on the package, it'll be fine if it takes that long to feed him, though, won't it?
Old 03-09-2012, 12:13 AM   #6 
thekoimaiden

I dunno. I've heard that frozen food can kinda go bad after a few months. But I've never kept it around for that long. Maybe someone else will know.