Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-08-2012, 02:44 PM   #1 
makoisland

How did you name your betta?

On this forum, I've seen lots of powerful, unique, or just downright adorable names that you all have given your bettas. I thought it would be interesting to hear the story or inspiration (or just plain randomness) behind all our bettas' names.
So what gave YOU the inspiration for YOUR betta's (or bettas') name(s)?
makoisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:59 PM   #2 
chrissylee13

well, my Frosty Love was named before i even bought him. i thought of naming him "Foxy Love" because of his gorgeous red flowing fins. but since his body was a blue/white color i decided on Frosty Love. :]

Jacaranda, or what i mostly call her "Jackie" was named because of her purple colors and how cute and pretty she was. Jacaranda is a purple flowering tree that lives in tropical regions. :]

Ren, his name was simply because my fiance likes the name and because it means water lily or lotus flower. he is quite pretty.

Kilian, his name means "little warrior". i bought him even though he had bitten all his fins off basically. he's healthy as ever. :]

Aurora, her name comes from the auroras seen in the sky. her colors just reminded me of their beauty.

Lenny, is actually named after my grandpa who just recently passed away. my grandpa was a WWII vet and received many medals, including the purple heart. since Lenny is purple i figured it was a great fit for him and a nice way to remember my grandpa.

i'll let you know when i name the lady i just got last night! :p

Last edited by chrissylee13; 03-08-2012 at 04:04 PM.
chrissylee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:38 PM   #3 
vilmarisv

I haven't named my new fish but I usually name them after characters in books I'm reading at the moment they arrive.
I'm curretly reading a book so I might pick out a couple of names for some of my newer fish. Or they will just remain nameless :D
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:23 PM   #4 
styggian

I base mine on personality, looks, or temperament. Hera because she's top fish in the sorority. Baby because she is small and was a Petco baby betta. Lacey is a black lace, dark bodied, transparent fins with dark edging. Opal and Aurora are sisters, marble crowntails and rather dainty. Ysbryd is my new crowntail boy, he was "white as a sheet" so to speak, very pale and colorless, but doing MUCH better. Shad (in my avatar) just because I've always loved the name.

My passed males (poisoned because of plastic tubs), Duckie had yellow lips, Amber had amber eyes, Poseidon was a beautiful mustard gas and very regal, Ares was a big blue/red dragon, and Zero was a frosty red dragon.

Three females still don't have names yet because I don't have anything that suits them.
styggian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:30 PM   #5 
ZergyMonster

I usually name my fish by people I know. Or whatever color they are in a different language.

My current fish names are:
Lady Gaga(my fiance named him...)
Barbra
Oscar
Turkey legs
Mafia
Drake
Spaz
Mellow
and, Gandalf

My diseased fish are:
Grim
Blau
Fred
Jack
Freckle
and, Taz
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:43 PM   #6 
BettaFishLuver

I need a name for my PK right now his name is Bubby. Any other ideas? ZergyMonster, I like the name Spaz.
BettaFishLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #7 
JBosley

I just pick a random name or the first one that pops into my head!
Right now I have Dragonfly the Blue/White Halfmoon. And this weekend I am getting a Super Delta whos name will be Oki, hes cellophane with marbelling, and I am also getting a Halfmoon Plakat who is an Orange Dragonscale who I am naming Fern. As I was falling asleep last night I decided to name him Fern haha!
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #8 
PaintingPintos

So I got my lil betta and I brought him home... he's a gorgeous shiny blue (all shades) and in bright light his scales and fins turn green. I just thought he was adorable, and I was thinking about naming him.... and I thought Omelette. I wasn't even trying to name him after a food. I'm not sure why but Omelette fits him....
PaintingPintos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:20 PM   #9 
ZergyMonster

Yeah spaz is my hungry hungry Chinese Algae Eater. He was able to clean my 10 gallon tank in 2 days. While mellow (another CAE) still has yet to clean up my other 10 gallon and I've had him for about 4 months.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:30 PM   #10 
BettaGirl201

I knew I wanted another fish when my first Betta, Rainbow, passed away. A couple months later, my best friend (who now has a 4 year old Betta) and my dad took me to Petsmart and we picked out a beautiful blue betta. In the car, my BFF and I decided on the name Jolly Rancher because he was blue. When I told my mom the name, she didnt like it, so we renamed the betta Sapphire. Now, Saphy is a beautiful male betta who is nearing his 1st B-Day :D!
BettaGirl201 is offline   Reply With Quote