Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-08-2012, 08:20 PM   #1 
Karebear13

New Heater/ Acclimating

So I convinced my roommate to get a heater for her male betta he is really big and she has had him for about a year with no problems. His temperature is always around 70 but Im sure it fluctuates at night. She is going to try a heater but I want to know the best way of acclimating him to newer warmer water. What is the best temperature for him? He acts really depressed and super lethargic when the water is too hot after water changes. He just lays in the gravel and does not respond at all until the temperature drops. Last time the water was at about 80 and we floated him for about an hour and released him but he still acted really funny not swimming at all just layed on the gravel.
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:50 PM   #2 
Myates

It may not of been the temp that caused it.. did you properly acclimate to the chemistry when you were acclimating to the temp?

How often is the water cleaned? Conditioner?

Otherwise.. I would just put the heater in and turn it on to 78 and let it heat up on it's own- they are usually made to heat it up slowly, over hours.. so it shouldn't be a shock to him. Just keep an eye on it and him to make sure it's not going too fast.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:38 AM   #3 
Karebear13

It is a 2.5 gallon tank we use Aqueon water dechlore... He never acts like that after water changes. the only thing we could have guessed was the temperature because its never that high. We never acclimate him usually he is totally fine it was just this one time...
Old 03-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #4 
Myates

If it was just the one time, I wouldn't worry too much- you can remove him while the heater raises the water temp, but not necessary, and it should take hours.
And not acclimating is a dangerous game to play with them.. I usually get the temps within a degree of the old temp when I change the water, but I always acclimate for a minimum of 10 minutes just to be on the safe side. Just a habit I picked up years ago and now I can't imagine not doing it lol.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:16 AM   #5 
Karebear13

Yeah I understand I always acclimate mine but since he isn't mine all I can do is let her know and sometimes she doesn't listen to my advice :/
Old 03-09-2012, 12:06 PM   #6 
Myates

Ah.. true, I know you do a good job with yours :)
Old 03-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #7 
ANHEL123

Hello just want to add something...sorry guys don't get mad but all my bettas in 74* and some of them in 72*. My bettas approx from 2 years old to 4 years old. The reason why temp that low because i always was afraid to overheat the tanks. So i put it on low...then i figured out there is not problem and they already adjusted, so i never change it.

But i did had accident one time. I was super busy , but never change the schedule to change my bettas. So i forget to mix cool water and warm and temp was like 80* , and he was in 72* . He went to the bottom of the tank and was not responsive for i don't remember approx 5 hrs or so...or longer..i happened long time ago.

So since that happened i am really careful.

I really want to write how i make water the same temp that he is already in...
My room temp fluctuate from 60,63,65* . So i prepare water day before i change them. I let water sit over night (someone told me to use aged water). So this way i have colder water. Than 30,40,1hr before i change them i prepare warmer water OR very warm water.... Then i just mix it in the tank...and i have thermometer on the outside. It sensitive and show temperature right away. It that kind that sticks out side of the tank.

So when I mix the water I live a little bit of each in case water too cold or too warm.

I am so paranoid that I have thermometer in side of the tanks too lol The first picture the one that outside of the tank. I hope i didn't confused anyone.

ATI Thermometers agen Thermometers

Last edited by ANHEL123; 03-09-2012 at 01:50 PM.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:21 PM   #8 
Karebear13

Yeah Im going to try that. Someone else also suggested that! :) Im getting yet again a new tank for benz because I feel like his 1.77 gallon tank is really hard to have a heater for... gettin a 2.56
Old 03-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #9 
ANHEL123

Afraid to ask is he ok? Eating and active. I know you have him on aq salt treatment. Did you already buy heater? The one i have PETCO that i have for a few years , PENNPLAX Cascade heat. But like i wrote they live in low temp and i use it for 8 months. When my room temp 72 i don't use it. I also have another brand i have to look what kind.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:18 PM   #10 
Karebear13

This is him right now he is crazy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIGP-...5a5AUAAAAAAAAi
He is always better in his cup but the salt is helping him his fins look better im scared to put him back in his tank cause he always get bad again... Hopefully its the heater and the new heater will be okay and the new tank. i actually ordered that Cascade brand :) the three came in the mail today so Im gonna try it out on Anani today