Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-08-2012, 09:06 PM   #1 
Andyj986

Can some help determine the sex of my Betta?

Hey all, i just created an account in the hope that someone can help me determine the sex of my Betta. Its got me stumped.

Im trying to breed Bettas (so far, so good) and i have done some extensive research on how to do this. But, after searching threw numerous forums and websites, the information that was provided, contradicts with the other pages, leaving me confused and frustrated.

I have completely no idea what type/breed my Betta is either (i just wanted a female one lol).

After spending about 30mins and 237 photos later i managed to get a good pic.

This Betta in particular, has made a bubble nest (i know females also build bubblenests). Its in a tank with a male and a second female( the second female is showing its "ready to mate" vertical bars as well as its "egg spot" (all partitioned off, and visible to each other when i choose who gets to see who).

I believe this is a female, but im unsure, and wanting a second opinion.
Attached Images

Andyj986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:14 PM   #2 
FishyFishy89

Wait a minute. You put a fish that you are unaware of it's gender in with another male and a female?
Are you aware that 1 male bettas will fight to their death?
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:19 PM   #3 
Pataflafla

Do you see an egg spot? I know they're not sure fire ways to tell gender, but it'll give you more of a hint. The shorter ventral fins make me think female along with the general body shape.

Also, i'm hoping your bettas are in a divided tank and not together without barriers. Despite what the store says, it's rare for even a male and female to live peacefully and healthily. It's possible sometimes (Very difficult though) for 4+ females in a large, densely planted tank.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:26 PM   #4 
Andyj986

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
Wait a minute. You put a fish that you are unaware of it's gender in with another male and a female?
Are you aware that 1 male bettas will fight to their death?
Are you aware that i clearly noted that all the fish are partitioned off (separated) from each other? And are only visable to each other when i see fit. I said nothing about them being in contact with each other.

Thanks.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:31 PM   #5 
Andyj986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pataflafla View Post
Do you see an egg spot? I know they're not sure fire ways to tell gender, but it'll give you more of a hint. The shorter ventral fins make me think female along with the general body shape.

Also, i'm hoping your bettas are in a divided tank and not together without barriers. Despite what the store says, it's rare for even a male and female to live peacefully and healthily. It's possible sometimes (Very difficult though) for 4+ females in a large, densely planted tank.
No i dont see a egg spot (the other female has a visible egg spot).
No, all fish are in the same tank, but they ARE separated from each other by several glass slides (that i can remove, when and if necessary).
Old 03-08-2012, 09:33 PM   #6 
Pataflafla

alright. It's possible that you have a plakat male.

Does this one flare head on or from the side? females tend to flare head on since they don't have to worry about looking so big. males tend to flare from the side to try and me intimidating.

Based on the ventrals and style of flaring, I'd go with that for gender. You either have a female or a plakat male.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:36 PM   #7 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I am almost positive that this is a Thai fighting betta. I have no clue where you got it, as these are usually pricier than regular betta. I see them always being offered in Toronto for about $45 each. They are specifically bred to fight for entertainment, I believe it is becoming quite popular to fight them in the west now too? I always see them for sale. This is the only colour that the fighting betta comes in. Females do not blow bubble nests at all. Be careful with him, as they have aggression more bred into them than even regular splendens.. He is a very beautiful boy. Here is the google images for Thai fighters:
http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=...w=1600&bih=749
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:46 PM   #8 
Andyj986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pataflafla View Post
alright. It's possible that you have a plakat male.

Does this one flare head on or from the side? females tend to flare head on since they don't have to worry about looking so big. males tend to flare from the side to try and me intimidating.

Based on the ventrals and style of flaring, I'd go with that for gender. You either have a female or a plakat male.
This one flares head on, its extremely aggressive towards the other fish (not so much the male, but it really tries to fight the other female, threw the glass of course).

I will take pics of the other female and the male, and post them here shortly, maybe that will help figure out its behaviour?
Old 03-08-2012, 09:47 PM   #9 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyj986 View Post
Are you aware that i clearly noted that all the fish are partitioned off (separated) from each other? And are only visable to each other when i see fit. I said nothing about them being in contact with each other.

Thanks.
My bad. Having an off night.
I'll go back to playing my World of Warcraft.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:47 PM   #10 
Pataflafla

It could just be an aggressive female then. Some females can never be housed with other females and some can't even be housed with other fish.

Tags
breeding, female, male, sex