Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-08-2012, 09:53 PM   #11 
Andyj986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
I am almost positive that this is a Thai fighting betta. I have no clue where you got it, as these are usually pricier than regular betta. I see them always being offered in Toronto for about $45 each. They are specifically bred to fight for entertainment, I believe it is becoming quite popular to fight them in the west now too? I always see them for sale. This is the only colour that the fighting betta comes in. Females do not blow bubble nests at all. Be careful with him, as they have aggression more bred into them than even regular splendens.. He is a very beautiful boy. Here is the google images for Thai fighters:
http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=...w=1600&bih=749
Hummm, i think your onto something here, it is a extremely aggressive fish.
I paid AUD$8.00 for this fish, from a local aquarium shop here in Australia, as its colours took my attention, i had to have it, not knowing that its a Thai Fighting Fish, as i believe you are correct (your google link, proves to me that it is in fact a Thai Fighting Fish, same colour and characteristics).
Andyj986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:57 PM   #12 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

They are quite stunning, and are expensive here in Canada. A good find, I must say.
Also, if your female isn't a plakat of any type, I wouldn't bred him with her, because crossing long tails and plakats types is not a good idea :D
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:57 PM   #13 
kfryman

That looks like a fighter, and dice it doesn't have an eggspot it is a male. As said before, they are hard to breed.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:05 PM   #14 
Andyj986

Quote:
They are quite stunning, and are expensive here in Canada. A good find, I must say.
Also, if your female isn't a plakat of any type, I wouldn't bred him with her, because crossing long tails and plakats types is not a good idea :D
Thanks :) As im kinda a noob at determining breed types :/ And after my 5 weeks breeding research (still on going) i havent seen/read anything about NOT breeding long tails with short. Im usure what a Plakats is? id rather ask that to make a horrible mistake. Care to clarify what a Platat for me?
Old 03-08-2012, 10:07 PM   #15 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Plakat is just any betta with a short tail. Fighting Betta are a type of plakat bred to fight. Regular plakat can come in any colour.

You wouldn't want to mix long and short because you will end up with a lot of weird tail lengths and types that are generally undesirable.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:25 PM   #16 
Andyj986

Ok here are a couple of pics of my Male and Female.
The female has a visible egg spot and vertical bars, so i know this ones female.
Although im trying to breed this pair (picured below) so you wouldn't recommend these two Olympia? Because of the tail size difference?
Attached Images

Old 03-08-2012, 10:30 PM   #17 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I can't see the females tail. All females have short tails. Her dorsal fin doesn't look like a plakat dorsal, so the two in the photo should be fine together.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:39 PM   #18 
Andyj986

Quote:
I can't see the females tail. All females have short tails. Her dorsal fin doesn't look like a plakat dorsal, so the two in the photo should be fine together.
Sorry, the other "sexless" fish got in the way (because i removed the coloured divider to take the photos, the glass is still separating them though)

As we speak, the Thai Fighter, i still making a bubble nest.
Would it be possible to breed the Thai fighter (if it is male) with the other female? Obviously me being the referee, monitoring them if they try to harm each other.

Heres an better pic.
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2012, 05:18 AM   #19 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

No she looks like a veil tell to me.
If you find a plakat girl that'd be a good mate for the fighter
Old 03-09-2012, 05:48 PM   #20 
Andyj986

Smile