Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-09-2012, 01:22 AM   #11 
carzz

How can I over dose him if I only add a drop or two to a whole gallon?
carzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:27 AM   #12 
Tikibirds

Quote:
Aqari-sal: a mild protozoan and ice preventative for sensitive species. Effectively treats : ick, parasites, velvet, sluggishness, gasping for air, flicking against rocks.
Betta safe: water conditioner.
BettFix: 2 drops per gallon.
Aq salt: 1tbsp per gallon.
I never heard of Aquri-sal before.

Keep in mind, I am not an expert but I would stop the AQ salt because if he does have SBD, AQ salt will not help. Fast him for a day or so and keep a look out for poops. If he is still bloated, put him in epsom salt. 1 Teaspoon per gallon. Plain, unscented epsom salt..not the ones with funky colors or scents

I use a gallon milk jug, fill it with conditioned water and then add the epsom. Shake it up and wait for it to disolve and then add it to his tank. Slowly acclimate him to the new water.

You don't really need to be using bettafix or the other medicine, unless there is something wrong with him.

Im not sure what would be causing the gasping for air...
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:28 AM   #13 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzz View Post
How can I over dose him if I only add a drop or two to a whole gallon?
because he does not need the medications all the time. Thats like you taking NyQuil every night when you don't have a cold. Taking medication when you don't need them can do damage to your liver, imagine what it would do to your betta.
Not to mention I believe BettaFix has 2 different types of ingredients that can do more harm than good. I don't remember what their called.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:29 AM   #14 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
I never heard of Aquri-sal before.

Keep in mind, I am not an expert but I would stop the AQ salt because if he does have SBD, AQ salt will not help. Fast him for a day or so and keep a look out for poops. If he is still bloated, put him in epsom salt. 1 Teaspoon per gallon. Plain, unscented epsom salt..not the ones with funky colors or scents

I use a gallon milk jug, fill it with conditioned water and then add the epsom. Shake it up and wait for it to disolve and then add it to his tank. Slowly acclimate him to the new water.

You don't really need to be using bettafix or the other medicine, unless there is something wrong with him.

Im not sure what would be causing the gasping for air...
great instructions :)
Old 03-09-2012, 01:31 AM   #15 
Tikibirds

bettafix has a tea tree oil in it that harms the labrinth organ and many people claim it killed their betta. The recommended dose is something like 8 drops per gallon. I don't think 2 by itself would do much harm but I do think it is better to only medicate when the fish is sick otherwise they may get immune to it and when you really need the medicine, it wont be effective. I think that is part of the reason people say not to always use AQ salt...

Last edited by Tikibirds; 03-09-2012 at 01:33 AM.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:33 AM   #16 
carzz

Okay, I switched him to freash water with half tbsp of Epsom salt and bettasafe.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:34 AM   #17 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
bettafix has a tea tree oil in it that harms the labrinth organ and many people claim it killed their betta. The recommended dose is something like 8 drops per gallon. I don't think 2 by itself would do much harm.
I don't use betta fix and being tired I didn't bother to do a google on instructions. But being that I've known several people have had more issues than help with this product I myself would never use it.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:40 AM   #18 
Tikibirds

Quote:
Okay, I switched him to freash water with half tbsp of Epsom salt and bettasafe.
OK. Keep us updated if there is any change.

Is he still gasping for air?

Quote:
I don't use betta fix and being tired I didn't bother to do a google on instructions. But being that I've known several people have had more issues than help with this product I myself would never use it.
I have it and used it but only because I had a columnaris outbreak and none of the stores sold any real fish meds. Plus I lived in alaska, so its not like I could just drive to the next town over. I didnt use the full dose though.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:45 AM   #19 
Sakura8

carzz, is there any possibility something spilled into the tank while you were out of the room? How has his behavior been prior to him laying on the bottom? Has he been eating normally and swimming normally?

At any rate, I do agree with the others that it's best not to use medicines unless absolutely necessary. If you keep the water clean and use a good water conditioner, none of the other things should be necessary. The only thing you can safely add to the water on a long-term basis are tannins.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:45 AM   #20 
carzz

I will. He had stopped before I switched water. But after the switch it started back up. Now he is calming down again.