Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2012, 09:06 PM   #21 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Of course you can just purchase pure (aquarium safe) ammonia from a hardware store and put it in.. You'll have to work out how much to use. I believe putting in between 1-2ppm ammonia is good (?) Putting in a lot at once can ruin your cycle, however (?)
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:10 PM   #22 
fishy friend2

4 ppm is the perfect number. While higher, concentrated numbers will ruin and freeze your cycle. So ideally you shouldnt go anything above 4 ppm, as you will grow the wrong type of bacteria.
fishy friend2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:22 PM   #23 
sparkyjoe

Ooook. So now the stupid question.

How do you know how much pure ammonia to add??? Sorry, I don't (yet!) speak PPM! I mean I understand the concept, but maths were never my strength.

Is there a dose/gallon I can use? Does the dose change based on where you are in the process????

The last time I did this I chucked in some food pellets and shots of water from the uncycled pet keeper I was using and I also used Cycle to help. I had a fairly plant filled tank though, so it was an awkward process and I occasionally got some screwy numbers on my water tests.

It only took about 2-2.5 weeks to cycle, but I finally achieved 0ppm on my ammonia & nitrites, and a low amount of nitrate.
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:27 PM   #24 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I think it depends on the percentage the ammonia is.. That's all I can say because I have never used the ammonia. I am only cycling for the first time and I'm using the food method (except I'm putting it in a panty hose floating in the tank so I don't have this huge mess to clean).
That is a really fast cycling time from what I hear though. o-O
Old 03-15-2012, 07:38 PM   #25 
DoberMom

Since beneficial bacteria will be growing in the gravel, is it ok to use a gravel vacuum to clean the tank?
DoberMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:48 PM   #26 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

It's fine to gravel vacuum it.. I doubt it'd have any negative effects on a cycle.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:56 PM   #27 
Mumma

Adding water from a cycled or a cycling tank will not help cycle a second tank. The amount of nitrifying bacteria in the water colum is minuscule. Removing 1/3 and in some cases 1/2 of the filter media from a stable, cycled tank to help cycle another will not throw the first tank back into a cycle. Once established the bacteria colony multiples fairly fast to accommodate the bioload of the tank. If you have a cycled tank and wish to start another there is no point (in my opinion) starting the cycle from scratch. Seeded media makes cycling very easy and quick.
If you don't want to remove gravel or filter media you can run the new filter on the established tank for 2 weeks to seed it with bacteria. Another option is to add extra media to the existing filter for 2 weeks then move it to the new filter in the new tank when you get the fish. This is what I do when a quarentine tank is needed. I run two filters on my goldfish tank and remove one to the new tank to instantly cycle it.
When ever moving filters and media from tanks you run a small risk of having a mini cycle where some ammonia and nitrite maybe present. If this happens a water change must be done daily until the bacteria multiply again.
Mumma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:01 PM   #28 
Mumma

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoberMom View Post
Since beneficial bacteria will be growing in the gravel, is it ok to use a gravel vacuum to clean the tank?
Gravel vacuuming is fine if your tank is use to it. If you never vacuum them do a very vigorous cleaning you could cause a mini cycle. If you gravel every week the bacteria will grow in other areas of the tank/filter to accomodate the bacteria that maybe lost during the vacuuming. Myself, I never vac my tanks. Most are pretty heavily planted. Fish poop = good fertilizer. If your tank needs vacuuming don't skimp on it. Gravel traps more junk then sand so will need cleaning more often.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:53 PM   #29 
DoberMom

I have a DIY sponge filter in my fry tank but within 2 weeks, it's fallen apart. I replaced the sponge but left the old one in there. How long do you think I should keep it in there before the tank will be ok without it?
DoberMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:06 PM   #30 
Mumma

2-4 weeks is usually enough. The longer the better. :)