Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-21-2012, 04:37 PM   #1 
morla

Betta Light

So do bettas like lighting?
morla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:35 PM   #2 
thekoimaiden

Bettas, like most fish, prefer subdued lighting as it best mimic their natural environment. Fish don't live in the open; they congregate around fallen logs or docks. Bettas need at least some daily variation to give them a proper day/night cycle, but ambient light will suffice for this. The only reason you need a light in the tank is for live plants. And even then, some plants can get away with just a few hours of sunlight.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:48 AM   #3 
Bombalurina

+1. If you do have a light, caves, floating plants and plants with broad leaves will give a shy betta a place to go and hide. :) Tannins in the water will also reduce the brightness and make them feel more secure.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:24 PM   #4 
jasonh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by morla View Post
So do bettas like lighting?
my white dragonscale betta is afraid of the dark. i had to give him a nightlight. he freaks out and frantically swims around when i turn off his hood light at night
jasonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:29 PM   #5 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonh View Post
my white dragonscale betta is afraid of the dark. i had to give him a nightlight. he freaks out and frantically swims around when i turn off his hood light at night
Actually I don't think this is "scared of the dark." Fish eyes function a little differently from ours in that they don't have an iris to control how much light gets in if we go from a bright room to a dark room. So when you turn off the fish's light and plunge the tank into darkness it stresses out the fish ie he darts around wildly. Try leaving the room lights on for about an hour after you turn off his light. This will allow his eyes to adjust to the darkness as it mimic the natural evening light.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:39 PM   #6 
jasonh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
Actually I don't think this is "scared of the dark." Fish eyes function a little differently from ours in that they don't have an iris to control how much light gets in if we go from a bright room to a dark room. So when you turn off the fish's light and plunge the tank into darkness it stresses out the fish ie he darts around wildly. Try leaving the room lights on for about an hour after you turn off his light. This will allow his eyes to adjust to the darkness as it mimic the natural evening light.
well i got him a nightlight and now he doesnt mean-mug me. i think he just wants his light on so he can play all night. :D
jasonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:55 PM   #7 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonh View Post
well i got him a nightlight and now he doesnt mean-mug me. i think he just wants his light on so he can play all night. :D
I don't think he wants to "play all night" seeing as fish need a day/night cycle. All creatures do (minus the cave-dwelling species). Not having this cycle can be rather stressful for the fish. Not to mention it will contribute to algal blooms.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:57 PM   #8 
morla

So, do you think it would be ok to have the light on during the day or at night? I have a light in Amor's tank but not Twilight's. Amor does have a little cave and plants to hide in.
morla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:00 PM   #9 
thekoimaiden

I generally keep my guys light on during the day when I'm awake. I have it set on a timer to run from noon to 9p that way I see them when I'm around most and they get some lights-out time to sleep. It's not necessary to have a light in his tank; it just makes seeing him easier.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:08 PM   #10 
ZergyMonster

I was going to ask when is the optimum time to turn off the lights in a tank. I'm a night owl and really like to see my fish but I know that you will be best without it, so I usually turn them off when I got home from work around 8:30-9:00pm. Should I be turning them off earlier or is that an alright time?
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote