Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-09-2012, 02:17 PM   #1 
MarcusTheGreat

New Tank cycling/live plants

i have a quick question im getting a new tank and its going to be a dirted one. My questsion is can i put live plants in the tank when the tank is being cycled or do i wait untill the tank is finished cycled?
MarcusTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

If you are going to setup a soil based tank-you want to plant it and add livestock....as long as you set it up properly and use enough of the right species of plants from the start and have the correct lights to promote plant growth-it is safe to add the livestock the same day and you will do a silent cycle....with live plants the active growth uses the ammonia before conversion and often you may not see nitrate for a long time if ever.

Dirt/soil based heavy planted tanks are different than regular substrate systems....planted or not......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:36 PM   #3 
inareverie85

For what OFL is talking about, I'd think you need more than just one or two plants for that to happen though :)
inareverie85 is offline   Reply With Quote