Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-09-2012, 05:28 PM   #1 
blondiezmom

Male Betta Not eating please help

I've had several bettas over the years and usually when I get them from the store they settle right in. But I recently bought "chili" from Petco and put him in his bowl and for over two weeks now he is not eating. I'm not quite sure how he is still alive unless he is sneakily eating food that I leave in his bowl. I've tried both betta pellets and freezed dried worms but he just checks them out and passes them by. I tried dangling the worm like at insect at the top of the bowl and he checked it out but no dice. He is fairly active and doesn't seem to be depressed. Any suggestions? His bowl is in my temperature controlled office. Perhaps he is shocked by his plant?
blondiezmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:16 PM   #2 
thekoimaiden

My first thought is what is his water temperature? Air temp and water temp often differ even in climate controlled rooms. The water is usually a little cooler because it takes more energy to raise the temp of air than of water. Bettas in cool water don't like to eat. They should be in temperatures between 76F and 82F.

Betta can easily be kept in 1 gal tanks, but you should be changing the water twice weekly. When was the last time his tank was cleaned?

If his water is clean and warm, then all I can tell you is he is still adjusting. I've heard of bettas taking a little longer than 2 week to adjust. They can go a long time without eating. Just keep trying to feed him and remove any uneaten food.

Oh and welcome to the forum!
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #3 
blondiezmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
My first thought is what is his water temperature? Air temp and water temp often differ even in climate controlled rooms. The water is usually a little cooler because it takes more energy to raise the temp of air than of water. Bettas in cool water don't like to eat. They should be in temperatures between 76F and 82F.

Betta can easily be kept in 1 gal tanks, but you should be changing the water twice weekly. When was the last time his tank was cleaned?

If his water is clean and warm, then all I can tell you is he is still adjusting. I've heard of bettas taking a little longer than 2 week to adjust. They can go a long time without eating. Just keep trying to feed him and remove any uneaten food.

Oh and welcome to the forum!
Thanks for the welcome, I change his tank weekly and do a 50% in between. I'll look into getting a heater for him. :) Thanks!
blondiezmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:05 PM   #4 
thekoimaiden

Your water change schedule looks great! I bet once he gets a little more warmth he'll perk right up and start eating like a little piggy!
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:13 PM   #5 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Just another concern- betta have been known to jump. Sick betta, jump, unhappy betta jump, even perfectly happy healthy betta jump. I'd hate for you to come to work to a dried up fish one day. You should try and find some sort of lid for that, even some plastic wrap with a few holes poked for air. This will also help maintain a warmer more humid temperature for him.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote