Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-09-2012, 06:39 PM   #1 
LugiaChan

Arrow Is this tank right for a betta? Metal exterior... 3.69 gal.

I just recently purchased a betta on the 8th without planning to (I fell right in love with the fish! ^^). I already asked this question before but I had 20+ other questions on the same page and I also wanted to get this out in the open for many different opinions.

I also want to move it to a 5-10 gal. tank over the spring/summer when I visit garage sales fish tanks. Since he's in a vase right now which I plan on being his extra home for cleaning his tanks later on, I kind of want to move him to the tank this week so he can be happier while waiting for the larger tank! I know a whole lot about betta fish and the 1:9 vinegar clean + toothbrush method and aquatic plants will go into it ;D Now.... Here's the main focus on this post!

The tank...! This appears to have metal exterior and around the top of the rim. I wanted to find a piece of wood with weight on it so he can not jump out or secure something similar/find a lid. Now, i'm quite sure the gunk on the bottom can be cleaned up, it's pre-owned and I am not sure why there is metal material like this... Was this originally a lizard tank? Why the metal? Is this healthy?

I have aquarium sealant I can apply to all corners and underneath the top too. I also want to keep the water level a few inches below that area as well. Well, what do you think...?

Thank you for all you can do to try to help ;D
LugiaChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:34 AM   #2 
Tikibirds

I think older style tanks had metal around the edges.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:36 AM   #3 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

This looks like a very old aquarium. They usually don't make them with metal anymore. Our fish store sells these as "antique."
Scrub the gunk off with an old toothbrush. Some of it is probably on the other side, just looks to be on the inside. If there's anything left, it's so old I wouldn't worry too much, but if you want, you should fill it, and leave it for maybe a week and test the water conditions in it just to be sure..
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:06 AM   #4 
LugiaChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
This looks like a very old aquarium. They usually don't make them with metal anymore. Our fish store sells these as "antique."
Scrub the gunk off with an old toothbrush. Some of it is probably on the other side, just looks to be on the inside. If there's anything left, it's so old I wouldn't worry too much, but if you want, you should fill it, and leave it for maybe a week and test the water conditions in it just to be sure..
That's a great idea!!! Luckly I asked around my business community if anyone would have an extra fish tank laying around, I just found out today my aunt has a reallllllly big tank she wants to get rid of and was going to put it in a garage sale because it's collecting dust. She's happy to get rid of it! Perfect opportunity and one happy fish!!! I really like my small metal tank for decoration purposes as well so I just had a great opportunity occur :D it shouldn't be nearly as old as this one, Lol.

If this doesn't work i'll totally do exactly as you said with the water testing, that's a really smart idea! Thank you for your advice ;D!
Old 03-11-2012, 03:07 AM   #5 
LugiaChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
I think older style tanks had metal around the edges.
Very interesting! It must be really old ;D it's unique.
It's likely going to be a display tank from now on- nothing live inside it (^u^)
Old 03-11-2012, 08:24 AM   #6 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

It should be okay, the metal is on the outside, so i don't see a problem.
ILLBETHEJUDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:57 PM   #7 
djembekah

looks a lot like my 29gallon ^-^
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:36 PM   #8 
Aus

You could make your smaller tank a shrimp tank? Shrimp are adorable, and look very pretty in a planted tank. I can't wait to get some!
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:25 PM   #9 
LugiaChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
You could make your smaller tank a shrimp tank? Shrimp are adorable, and look very pretty in a planted tank. I can't wait to get some!
Shrimp really creep me out! LOLS! It's funny 8D no worry.
Uhm... I am considering other tank buddies though, I know corries and tank suckers are mostly good but I really want an eel. I have no idea which one to get though for a 10 or so gal. tank ^^;
Old 03-11-2012, 10:26 PM   #10 
LugiaChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by djembekah View Post
looks a lot like my 29gallon ^-^
That's really cool, I think they're extremely beautiful and shiny. Do you use it to keep your fish in~? :D

Tags
fish, metal, tank