Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-09-2012, 11:01 PM   #1 
wystearya

Sponge Filters - How to?

I don't know if anyone will remember me, but I am not a new member. I had a lovely crowntail Betta a year or so ago, who unfortunately became ill and passed away. I was upset and did not get a new fish right away. In fact the tank had been dry and empty for quite a while..

Anyway, I got a new Betta today! I have a 5 gallon tank, with a light & heater. I own a filter, but I was reading up and I think I want to try a sponge filter. I know I would need some kind of pump, but I am not finding much help online.

So, I am hoping that someone here will be able to help me! What brands do you recommend? How is this type of filter system set up? Is it relatively quiet? Does it filter well?

>>I just have one betta in a 5 gallon tank. So, waste isn't going to be a big issue. I also feed very small amounts and if anything is uneaten it is removed. I mostly want it so that the tank can eventually become cycled. >>I will be doing water changes until that time.

Thanks so much!
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:48 AM   #2 
vilmarisv

I use this filter in my 5 galon: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=3945
But I do have different filters of the same brand... looove them!

I have 2 types of pumps that have been working well.
one: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...9&pcatid=19779
two: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...8&pcatid=12738

And you might want to consider this: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...0&pcatid=19780
it will help you control the airflow and you can hook up more than 1 filter to one pump. I currently have 3 tanks (5, 14, and 2.5 gals) running on one of the blue pumps above. All have cycled nicely.

With sponge filters the noise you will hear will be from the airpump and the water bubbles. So picking a quiet pump is the best.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:51 AM   #3 
wystearya

Thank you for the information and links!

I am curious, do the Oxygen Plus filters come with the clear plastic tube for the bubbles to go up? (I don't mean the air pump tubing.) I have seen others that do come with it, one is pictured here: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...AID=1059619494
The clear tube on top is what I am talking about!

---

I had been looking at those whisper pumps, so it is good to know someone here uses them. Are they not adjustable? I thought I had read you could adjust the flow of bubbles with the whisper units..?

Thank you again for your help!
Old 03-10-2012, 01:04 PM   #4 
vilmarisv

Yes they do.
Don't do what I did when I first got one.
I put the plastic tube first on and then spent 20 minutes trying to put the airtube on the filter through the plastic tube. It wouldn't go in because my fingers wouldn't fit the clear tube and the airline was too flimsy.
AFTER I got it together I realized I could've inserted the airline in the clear tube, attached the airline to the filter and then slide the plastic tube in place... such a dumb moment! HAHA!
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #5 
blueridge

If you wanted to you could always make your own sponge filter. All you need is a small water bottle, filter media, a sponge, a suction cup, air line, and a pump. There are youtube videos of how to make them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXDzgM9x3tc
blueridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #6 
wystearya

Thank you both! Tips are always great, and I will remember about the tubing. ;)

----

And thanks for the link to the do-it-yourself, but I got a great deal on Amazon for a whisper pump and a hydro filter. They were half off! I paid under $7 for the pump and under $6 for the filter. <3
Old 03-10-2012, 02:23 PM   #7 
blueridge

No problem and those are awesome prices!
blueridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #8 
LittleBettaFish

Also don't do what I did when I first got one, and not squeeze all the air out of the sponge while it is submersed.

I couldn't understand why my sponge filter kept floating around the tank. Wasn't until I had pushed all the air out that it sunk.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:14 PM   #9 
wystearya

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Also don't do what I did when I first got one, and not squeeze all the air out of the sponge while it is submersed.

I couldn't understand why my sponge filter kept floating around the tank. Wasn't until I had pushed all the air out that it sunk.
Heh, thank you for this tip! I did watch a video about how to install, but if I hadn't I might have done this!
Old 03-12-2012, 10:29 AM   #10 
ANHEL123

How much and how often you going to do water changes?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote