Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-09-2012, 10:13 PM   #1 
Nish

HELP- New betta is not eating

Tomorrow, I will have had my betta for a week. So far, he has eaten nothing. The tank is heated to the right temperature and is filtered. First, I tried betta pellets, and he would not try to eat them. Next, I tried betta flakes, but still nothing. Then, I tried giving him a pea and he showed no interest in that either. Today I tried giving him freeze dried blood worms but he did not go for those either.

What should I do? I am concerned that he has not eaten even once since I have had him. He is a halfmoon double tail male.

Thank you!
Nish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:34 PM   #2 
newarkhiphop

what brand of pellets are you using
newarkhiphop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:37 PM   #3 
Pitluvs

Honestly, I have had Bettas go a week or two before they felt comfortable enough to eat. My current new boy, Chaise went a week and one day he just started eating. Keep offering and take the food out if he doesn't eat. They won't starve themselves, unless they are actually sick and there is a reason they can't eat. Does he look normal and fine other than the food issue?
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:40 PM   #4 
Nish

I have tried both Aqueon and Wardley
Old 03-09-2012, 11:42 PM   #5 
Nish

For days he would sink to the bottom and float around and lay on his side as if he were dead, but that seems to have passed he has seemed more active and brighter in color in the last two days
Old 03-09-2012, 11:48 PM   #6 
Pitluvs

Ahh ok, sounds like he had some issues from the place you bought him from... maybe ammonia poisoning. If he's been better and acting normal, he should look to eat soon :) With my guys, I find sinking the pellets beside them makes them chase it.

Is there anyway you can get a better Betta food? Like.... Omega One Betta Buffet? Or even a New Life Spectrum Betta formula? They may seem a bit pricey, but it will last you forever with one Betta.. and it's really good stuff for them. Wardley and Aqueon are a bit lower on the scale.

Oh, have you tried any frozen foods?
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:54 PM   #7 
Nish

no, the other foods that I have tried are Tetra bloodworms and nutrafin max flakes. I have been scared to buy any of the more expensive brands just because I don't even know if he will prefer pellets/flakes/bloodworms or what! I don't know what, if anything, will be worth investing in! Of course I am willing to spend the money on whatever he likes, but I do not know what to try next when he has not even attempted to eat. The Wardley pellets floated, do they not like those as much? and I feel like the Aqueon pellets were too small for him to even be able to find in the gravel if he wanted them, but he seemed to have no intrest as they floated by him.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:41 PM   #8 
Rosso1011

As mentioned before, it may take a while for him to eat, but in the meantime, something that may help is to take a clean finger, stick it in the water and wiggle it a little. I found that stimulating my new boy made him go check out what was going on at the surface. He stared at the pellets for a little, but eventually realized it was food.

As for food, in my own personal opinion, Omega One Betta Buffet pellets are worth the investment (I've not used New Life Spectrum yet). Both of my boys took to them very quickly. Just keep in mind though that you still may have to wait a bit for your boy to take the bait.

It is usually the case that bettas prefer pellets, but that's not always. Not all bettas will like freeze-dried bloodworms either. Rosso won't touch the freeze-dried bloodworms.

Hope this helps a little. Good luck on getting your new betta to eat. If he's starting to look more active, he probably won't hold out much longer.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:00 PM   #9 
wystearya

Not sure if this will help you, but this is what I do:

I take a plastic spoon and get a tiny bit of tank water in it. Then I put 2 or 3 pellets in it and let them sit until they soak up some water and get soft. Maybe 5 minutes.

Then I will drop in one pellet at a time next to my fish. He eats it right away and so did my last Betta.

Good luck!
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote