Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-10-2012, 03:45 AM   #1 
Gustersen

Angry Depressed Betta?

Hey everyone! Been a while since I been on this site, mainly because I forgot my old account name and password. But I'm back with a new one. And I would like to say this site has given me so much information about my bettas in the past. Thank you.

Now...to get to my problem.

I've had a dragon scale betta for about 3 weeks now that I got from Petsmart. He was doing great for the first 2 weeks. He's in a 10g with a couple corys who he had no problem with. But this past week he became very depressed/lethargic. I actually thought he was dead a couple times because he was floating sideways, but kick started when i tapped the glass. I don't understand. He was super active at first then became limp. Any ideas on what can be happening? Thanks in advance.
Gustersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:55 AM   #2 
Gustersen

I meant to put a sad face in the title.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:56 AM   #3 
IndeedPanda

Have you tested the water? Are there any decorations int he tank? He might be getting sick so watch him carefully.
IndeedPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:24 AM   #4 
aqua001

You said he was floating sideways. This occurs to me like SBD. Like IndeedPanda said, he may be sick so watch carefully.

Is he losing his color or or showing stress strips? Through my experience, betta fish seem extremely active when first put in new hame but then tend to slow down and show any sicknesses that they may have. It happens to me every time.

Hope he gets better soon!
aqua001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Sorry your Betta isn't well....we need more information.....and a pic....

In the 10gal tank- water temp, additives used, filter, live plants, how much and how often are the water changes, appetite, you have had him for 3 weeks- healthy until a week ago....tank mates-2 cory cats anything else.....

He is lethargic, floating.....any buoyancy problems, clamp fins, is he eating and pooping okay........
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #6 
Gustersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Sorry your Betta isn't well....we need more information.....and a pic....

In the 10gal tank- water temp, additives used, filter, live plants, how much and how often are the water changes, appetite, you have had him for 3 weeks- healthy until a week ago....tank mates-2 cory cats anything else.....

He is lethargic, floating.....any buoyancy problems, clamp fins, is he eating and pooping okay........
water temp 68, stress coat(api) tetra easy balance water conditioner, api aquarium salt. hasn't been eating, 25% weekly water change, no live plants just a dragon thing he hid in the whole time. have not noticed any poop.

I'll try to put a picture up ASAP.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:49 PM   #7 
thebroadenthusiast

68 is way too low. The temp should be 78-80 degrees. I bet if you warm the tank up he'll perk up.
thebroadenthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:48 AM   #8 
Oldfishlady

I agree, temp may be a big part of the problem....get that increased to at least 76F...make a couple of back to back 50% and get the salt out and see if the up temp and water changes will perk him up.......

Salt is not recommended long term with Bettas and especially with cory cats-they can sometimes be sensitive to therapeutic doses we use on Bettas....if you feel the need to treat...QT in a small container.....
Also, you need to add a few more cory cats to complete the school once the Betta gets well.....

Good luck.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote