Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-10-2012, 03:23 PM   #1 
ao
TFK Moderator

Color loss help!

My betta used to bea nice dark blue, with an almost black head, now his head is grey and some of his fins are losing color. I hope its not the mysterious disese describe in the forum sticky, where the fish turns grey and dies.

Ive kept him in the dark for a couple of days due to parasites and just took him off medication and salt, please please please tell me that is why he's losing his color :(

Water is 81 degrees

half a gallon tank for now

daily water changes

not clamped
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:05 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

I believe on the last thread I helped you out with, you were using aquarium salt. Never mix aquarium salt with medications. It tends to throw things out of whack.

Give him some time with clean, fresh water with only conditioner. Keep things dark for him.

the mystery disease seems to always start from the tips of the fins, so I think you're safe from that, along with it usually killing in less than 48 hours.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:40 AM   #3 
ao
TFK Moderator

Thankyou so much for your help again!
Ive been so busy with school I forgot to reply!
Ive come to realize that leaving him in darkness completely stresses him out,as he seems to rapidly lose color eveytime he's in a dark place and paces his container continuosly until I take the cover off again, where he will revert back to his old colors again just as rapidly. Ive decided to spare him the stress and do what I can on my part, the velvet i see is a spreading white patch(only yellow under light) and is starting to make its way avross the bit between hos bottom fin and his body, stangely he's still a happy, i really want to think that his behaviour is telling me it isnt velvet but the stuff being yellow and all seems to speak otherwise.... He's on the more natural "ick attack" meds now. whether it works or not...meh.. but I refuse to stuff any more strong meds into his container.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:42 AM   #4 
Pataflafla

It may be coloring. Bettas tend to have a gold coloring around the bottom of their jawline and their stomachs.

i'd say if he isn't trying to scratch or darting, then it's most likely color coming out. Just keep a close eye on it and clean water.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:59 PM   #5 
ao
TFK Moderator

Ok will do, got him a friend (blue and red vt) yesterday and his qt jar lives next to his new friends 1 gallon, it seems to really have perked him up quite a bit, I haven seen him flare ever since he figured out that the mirror was his own reflection. these fish are really too smart for their own good :)

The new one I picked from a lfs which had a huge carboard box with about 30 tiny containers, with each container filled with just enough water for the fish to remain submersed in... there were so many sick fish, but already havig a sick fish on my hands I didnt have to confidence to pick a sick one, and instead bought the healthiest looking guy. forgive me for my gutlesness to do a good rescue and opting for the easy option out :(

From their very first encounter, these two don't have flare competitions,(face to face all fanned out) rather they seem to get a long quite well with the occasional fin flaring dance when they feel like it. I think I will keep them side by side with no opaque barrier for a while, both seems to be happy.

about changing colors, I've read a lot on bettas these days and it doesnt seem common for a solid royal blue to color change..?

here's a pretty picture of fish during WC.

dancing fish

Last edited by ao; 03-18-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:06 PM   #6 
Pataflafla

Usually when a betta gets into good conditions color either changes drastically or darkens/lightens depending on the color.

Usually you start to see more hues and more shimmer to them as well.

you're guy might have just been a little stressed, so maybe just being pale.