Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #11 
TuiAndLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyjoe View Post
First let me say that there's no shame in that; it would be great if more people had that attitude.

Next let me say that YES! there is terrific value in being good & honest. It can be challenging to live your life with morals but it is very much worth it in the long run.

Your compassion for that little fish is commendable and it's more than others would have (did!) do to put him in his own cup so he could have some peace; don't feel bad or beat yourself up over it.
Aww, thanks sparkyjoe. =)

It sucks that I couldn't take the poor fellow home, but I was cheered up today upon arriving at Petco (took my dog, just to have an outing). When I got there, an employee was cleaning all the betta cups, putting fresh water for them. ^_^ Petco always has bettas that look well taken care of.

I thought Petsmart did too but I went there today also and they didn't look so great. =/ One had fins bitten all off, holes in their fins, and one was still alive with a very obvious case of dropsy. =/ At least they don't seem to stock a whole lot (I think)....

Still, it's nice to actually see a place that cares for them pretty well (Petco). And as a plus, all the employees (and manager) are sooooooo nice. =3 I actually kind of know the manager there through someone else. But I met and chatted with everyone who works there (they came to me, and were interested in my dog lol). Just an awesome experience! I'm so done with Walfart.

Last edited by TuiAndLa; 03-11-2012 at 03:23 PM.
TuiAndLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:43 PM   #12 
Amphibianite

I have talked to Walmart managers before.
What I was told was that the company would not allow them to give away their fish even if they wanted. The manager really wanted to give me the betta for free. All she could legally offer by regulations was half off. She told me the company gets a kickback for every dead fish. So they rather let the fish die and get the kick back than to lose all profit. The corporation doesn't care at all.
So Half off is about all you are likely to get no matter who is working.
Amphibianite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:02 PM   #13 
copperarabian

I never understood this, if you where buying a product that was on the verge of breaking they would give your a pretty big discount but a fish on the verge of death isn't good enough?
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #14 
Aus

Quote:
She told me the company gets a kickback for every dead fish. So they rather let the fish die and get the kick back than to lose all profit. The corporation doesn't care at all.
Seriously? That is beyond disgusting.

Somebody needs to organise a "Boycott Walmart Week" event as a protest on Facebook. Complete with a collection of people's pictures of all the dead/dying/diseased/injured fish from their local Walmart, plus its address. There's a long list of stores to boycott right there.

Let $ be the voice that counts, since that's all that matters to them.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:35 PM   #15 
sparkyjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amphibianite View Post
I have talked to Walmart managers before.
What I was told was that the company would not allow them to give away their fish even if they wanted. The manager really wanted to give me the betta for free. All she could legally offer by regulations was half off. She told me the company gets a kickback for every dead fish. So they rather let the fish die and get the kick back than to lose all profit. The corporation doesn't care at all.
So Half off is about all you are likely to get no matter who is working.
It doesn't surprise me at all to have ANOTHER reason to despise Wally World.
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:39 PM   #16 
sparkyjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuiAndLa View Post
Aww, thanks sparkyjoe. =)

It sucks that I couldn't take the poor fellow home, but I was cheered up today upon arriving at Petco (took my dog, just to have an outing). When I got there, an employee was cleaning all the betta cups, putting fresh water for them. ^_^ Petco always has bettas that look well taken care of.

I thought Petsmart did too but I went there today also and they didn't look so great. =/ One had fins bitten all off, holes in their fins, and one was still alive with a very obvious case of dropsy. =/ At least they don't seem to stock a whole lot (I think)....

Still, it's nice to actually see a place that cares for them pretty well (Petco). And as a plus, all the employees (and manager) are sooooooo nice. =3 I actually kind of know the manager there through someone else. But I met and chatted with everyone who works there (they came to me, and were interested in my dog lol). Just an awesome experience! I'm so done with Walfart.
That's cool! I like a couple of the Petco's around here too, several of them actually seem to care about the Bettas that they have.
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:47 PM   #17 
ParadisMutts

Our Walmarts where I live don't sell any live animals, they used to sell fish but it has stopped because of poor conditions and nobody buying from them. Both the pet sections, in both walmarts are very small with nothing living to be sold. I am happy about that.
ParadisMutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:58 PM   #18 
LionCalie

I've gotten sick/dying Wal-Mart Bettas for free from managers on more than one occasion, so it does happen. It depends entirely on the store and manager though. Kudos to you for not supporting them with your money, I know how hard it can be to walk away.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:51 PM   #19 
Bombalurina

That poor little guy. :( I am so torn about whether to rescue bettas or not - it's true, I don't want to "vote with my dollar", but is it fair to let bettas die for my principles when I know I could save them? Especially when girl bettas are dying, because I know they don't get them in often and me buying them is a total rarity...
When I do buy rescues, I make my opinions on the conditions known, and make a point of getting my friends to boycott the shops for other, more expensive things.

LionCalie, I love your signature.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:13 PM   #20 
TuiAndLa

Ugh, that's sickening! Getting kickbacks for dead fish. Man, can things be anymore backwards? -_- I didn't even think it was really... legal? to sell a sick/dying animal in stores. Apparently it's perfectly fine. -rollseyes-

Well, I can't save the fishies, but I am helping animals in another way. I've been fostering dogs for my local high kill shelter (awesome shelter, constantly trying to better it and do everything they can) for the last few years. I've been taking a break from it though lately and I've still got two fosters currently. lol

Now I'm quite good at seeing other people's POV and understanding the other side, even if I disagree with it, but.... It just baffles me... I mean I really sit there and wonder sometimes- HOW in the world can some people just be so cruel, negligent.... how people just don't care to do the right thing... I just don't understand it. smh
TuiAndLa is offline   Reply With Quote