Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #1 
TopHatViolet

Two weeks into cycling a new 5 gallon.

So I caved in a bought my baby a five gallon two weeks ago.
I wanted to cycle it before I put him in it though. So I set it up and got it running and baffled the filter.

I've been using the betta pellets my fish won't eat to feed the tank cycle. I didn't have a water test kit until today. I bought the API Master kit off Amazon.

So I just tested the water for the first time and the Ammonia is between .25 and .50, the Nitrite is 0 and the Nitrate is also reading 0.

So I was wondering if that is what those levels are supposed to look like after two weeks...
What should I be seeing here. I'm a little lost..
TopHatViolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #2 
Bombalurina

You need to boost the ammonia levels to around 5ppm before nitrites will start to appear. Add in a ton more fish food and you should see a spike. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:46 AM   #3 
freemike

If it is in your budget I would suggest some pure ammonia to dose the tank. The pure ammonia is usually the cheap store brand stuff. You have to be certain it doesn't contain any dyes or any kind of additives. Most of the pure stuff will be labeled as clear. There should only be one ingredient on the bottle. Double check it by shaking the bottle and if it foams or bubbles at the top then it's a no go. I personally use the 360 home clear ammonia sold by Food Lion.
freemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:08 PM   #4 
TopHatViolet

So it's been about another week and a half and I've been putting a lot more fish food in the tank then before. The ammonia has shot up to 8PPM but the Nitrites and Nitrates are still both at zero.

Is everything still going right? Will the rest of the cycle kick in soon? I ask because while I'm being patient in waiting for things to happen my family and friends are both starting to give me that look and saying things like "It's been enough time, I'm sure he'd be much happier if you went ahead and moved him to his new place. Your being ridicules, etc." I tried explaining the process to them but they think I'm being 'overly cautious.' especially since my friend has a 15 gallon that she never cycled and never changes the water in because "it looks clear still"...
Old 03-25-2012, 02:00 AM   #5 
Bombalurina

Unfortunately your ammonia is now too high. You need to do a water change to bring it down. You don't want to let it rise above 5. 4-5 is the sweet spot. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:17 AM   #6 
sparkyjoe

Is this your betta or the family betta? I ask because one answer means that you should get to decide what's best for your fish. The other means you have to convince them to do the right thing.

Trying to explain the nitrogen cycle to someone who doesn't care is like trying to teach a chimp how to play chess; it may eventually learn not to throw the game pieces but it's almost guaranteed that the chimp will never win a match.

If this is your fish, I would say be polite but stand firm & explain that you're going to do what you think is best for your fish.

JMHO.
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:19 AM   #7 
bankruptjojo

your doing everything right do some water changes like Bombalurina said to bring ammonia to 5.0. this is why pure ammonia is so much better you can dose exactly what you need and no mess. i got mine at ace hardware.

first you didnt put enough then you put to much you should have the sweet spot almost down. try to keep ammonia at 5.0. then you'll your ammonia drop to 0 and nitrItes go up. they might go off the charts(crazy purple color) thats ok keep dosing ammonia like normal. then youll see nitrAtes appear. next nitrItes will go down eventually to 0. your done!

everyone is impatient i know i was. that might be a bad explanation :)
bankruptjojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:53 AM   #8 
TopHatViolet

Thanks for the advice! I'll do a water change when I get home from work.

and for Sparkjoe's question. It's my fish, and they don't really care what container I keep it in they said. so it's no problem it's just a little irritating.