Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-10-2012, 08:19 AM   #1 
fishylegacy

Betta's New Friends are mean

I was tired of my lazy betta fish and decided to get him some new scaly friends. They turned out to be under water fiends! They are three fancy male guppies, and they are some brutal fish. They bite each other, they bit him. One of them is trying to starve the other buy eating all their food. I was looking at them one day as one of them swam up to the other fish and took a bite out of it's friends tail. They are also will try and steal my betta's food (which I don't think they can even eat or they seem unable to every time I've seen them try.) Their also picking on him as well (He goes and hides in his log, he's a coward fish I swear). What do you do when fish aren't getting along? Should I see if the store will take them back or, am I stuck with dealing with them. He's had other friends before (3 neon tetra's that got along great with him and died during a 800 mile move in December).

Last edited by fishylegacy; 03-10-2012 at 08:25 AM.
fishylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:46 PM   #2 
Bombalurina

Male guppies and bettas typically don't make great tankmates due to their similar tails and colours. I would definitely try to rehome the guppies.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:44 AM   #3 
Misomie

I was able to keep one guppy with a betta, but multiple males can be brats. It would be better to swap two out for females (if you still want guppies) or get rid of all three.
Misomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:49 AM   #4 
Luimeril

male guppies can be meanies. the ideal group would be two females and a male, but then you'd have a million guppy babies.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:48 AM   #5 
MaisyDawgThirteen

I have all male guppies and 2 of of the 5 are psychopaths. :/
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:08 AM   #6 
Misomie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
male guppies can be meanies. the ideal group would be two females and a male, but then you'd have a million guppy babies.
I think the betta would eat them all though. (that reminded me when I gave my fish some live bloodworms and they reproduced and took over the tank. My goodness fishies. :K THAT was quite the mess to clean up after...)
Misomie is offline   Reply With Quote