Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-13-2012, 11:52 PM   #1 
dmshoes3033

Male and female together?

I have had a male betta for a little over 6 months now. Recently I purchased a female to place in the tank with him. I have read on a few places that they aren't supposed to be placed in the same aquarium together unless you are breeding them and then remove one or the other. Well, before I read all that I put them in the same tank together. I have yet to see them fight each other. They don't seem to have much interest in one another either. The male is somewhat of a weenie. She does go up to him like shes sniffing him (like a dog) but doesn't flare or get agressive. I have seen her rub up against him as well. The only time I have seen him flare up at her is when she scared him by going into the same cave as he did. I honestly don't see why they can't be in the same tank, but I have come to you guys for some advice. If they shouldn't be in the same aquarium I can move one, that's not a problem.
dmshoes3033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:07 AM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

It is not recommended because bettas are unpredictable and territorial, and you are either going to end up with an accidental spawn or a severely maimed/dead male or female.

I had a male living in my sorority peacefully for a year. There was a female he didn't particularly like, but the aggression never amounted to anything more than chasing and a few nips.

The other day I found him floating at the top of the tank almost dead with his fins completely shredded. He is recovering nicely now, but I nearly lost one of my favourite fish.

I would never even attempt what I have with a single male and female pair. That is trouble waiting to happen.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:18 AM   #3 
MaisyDawgThirteen

+1 to Little BettaFish. (:
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:55 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

They may also be too stressed by the presence of another betta that they can't get away from to try and fight yet, but there is such a risk of it happening in the future that I really wouldn't risk it.

There is also a risk that the male hormones in the water will cause the female to become eggy, possbile egg-bound (which is fatal).
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote