Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2012, 10:12 PM   #21 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oak
Oak is pretty easy to recognize. :) Just look for a tree with those leaves.
It is pretty rare where I live, so you may not be able to find it. o-O You can always research on other websites for other safe trees.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:21 PM   #22 
Pod

I looked up native trees in my state [RI, USA], and came up with these results:
Bitter-nut-hickory, white elm, slippery elm, butternut, chestnut, rock maple, red maple, white maple, black birch, canoe birch, gray birch, yellow birch, and a whole bunch of others.

What would be the best recommended tree-parts. If there are no native recommended parts, if I obtain parts of a species, what do I do to make it safe for the betta's?
Pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:32 PM   #23 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Aspen and ash are okay too. You'll have to research how to ID trees. Another option would be near a lake or other freshwater, to look for a well worn down piece of driftwood.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:38 PM   #24 
Pod

The only body of water near me is the brackish waters. I don't even know where to find a small creek or something in the more wooded area's of my state. Quite a difficult turn of events.

If i do find suitable leaves and sticks, how do i go about preparing them for my betta's? I know you said to boil the leaves in hot water, but what about sticks? And large, flat rocks?
Old 03-11-2012, 10:42 PM   #25 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Sticks, soak them in water for a few weeks. Youll have to change the water every now and then, until it stops turning the water brown. Dong boil rocks. Scrub them really well with vinegar and water. Rocks can alter hardness and pH, as can leaves and twigs. You'll have to monitor this.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:50 PM   #26 
Pod

So, in simple terms, it would make the tank more natural looking, but, also make things more harder? Sounds fun.

Would the betta's enjoy floating leaves and stick formations in the tank, or no? Would they find it more interesting?

Also, in the terms of live foods, would they enjoy eating live-wingless fruit flies?
Old 03-11-2012, 10:51 PM   #27 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

If know they'd like leaves. Sticks, maybe, as long as they can't cut themselves.
They are insectivores, so once a week the fruit flies should be fine.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:18 PM   #28 
Pod

How do you know if the sticks could cause damage to the fins?

So, after changing around the scenery for the 6 gallon, do you think the females would be able to get along? Or no?
Old 03-11-2012, 11:29 PM   #29 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Running pantyhose along it, if it snags you should sand that part down.

They should be fine to add together now.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:34 PM   #30 
Pod

I have not moved the tank around, but, I just want to double check that they wont end up slaughtering each other, hence why i asked. Previous posters say that the tank was too small[which i knew, but, the betta's didn't really seem to care]. I honestly think that the larger female went Piranha on the others because the tank looked the same as it was originally, when she was in it alone with 4 cories and two african dwarf frogs.

Just to note; I DID have 4 corydoras in there, aswell as two frogs, but. They died. Now, only 2 remain. They died due to underfeeding, since, they were never able to find the food, even when I put it right infront of them.

Im about to change the scenery around a bit, and since the tank just had a 100% water change, i doubt it'll be cloudy during the movement.