Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2012, 01:07 AM   #31 
veggiebetta

I have a feeling your Corys didn't make it because they starved. Those fish are aces at locating food sources. My bet is that the small size of the tank and overpopulation and being unfiltered and underaerated may have caused the death of your Corys.

There's also no guarantee that the girls will get along. The larger the tank the better the odds that they'll at least be able to hide and remain safe.

Also not that placing dead things in your tank will cause the ammonia levels to rise significantly. Rotting plant matter isn't the greatest thing. You could do some research into local, naturally occurring aquatic plants in your area. That would be safer/better than just rotting dead plants.

I would wait on the 4 bettas until you have a larger more stable environment for them. The constant adding and removing of them to a small cramped space isn't going to make their lives any less stressful. Have you looked into breeding mesh or breeding contraptions that stick to the side of the aquarium? They're relatively cheap, $6 for a three-way breeder which you can keep your larger female in. This will allow the others to see her and interact with her but without her being able to get at them. When I introduced two new females to my 10 gallon I put them in this with the divider down the middle so they could aqquaint themselves with eachother without any physical damage being done. My original lone female I had was removed from the tank and placed in her old cup on her own while the other two acclimated. After about 30 minutes I put all three into the 10 gallon. It's been three days now and the most that's been done is one new girl strutting her stuff. My original girl couldn't care less, ang the biggest of the three just wants nothing to do with any of them and takes care to keep her distance. It's nice seeing the biggest fish turning the other cheek every time. Of course there's been stand-offs, flaring and lots of vibrating and some chasing. But my tank is decently planted with lots of hiding spots as well as 6 White Clouds and two mystery snails to occupy the bettas' curiousity as well.
veggiebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:38 AM   #32 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having dried leaves in your tank.. Leaf litter tanks are quite beautiful. IDEAL betta tanks are filled with dried Indian almond leaves. They release hardly any ammonia, and provide tannins to replicate the natural blackwater betta are found in..
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:57 AM   #33 
twinjupiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djembekah View Post
also from what i hear, CAEs shouldnt be in something that small
Agreed. Not only do they max out at about 12 inches long, they can also become really territorial. Mine is about six inches long (was about 2.5" when i got him) and will chase ALL of the fish away from his territory, including my 10 inch granulated catfish. He is a jerk. I have tried to give him away to friends several times, but he is also very smart and hides every time I approach the tank.
twinjupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:03 PM   #34 
Pod

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiebetta View Post
I have a feeling your Corys didn't make it because they starved. Those fish are aces at locating food sources. My bet is that the small size of the tank and overpopulation and being unfiltered and underaerated may have caused the death of your Corys.
I'd just like to say this, the tank IS filtered and heated. I did put all four females into the tank once agian, only to have the larger female constantly chasing the new commers endlessly. Every time she even sees another, she goes after it until she loses it.

It always starts off the same, the larger girl flaring, showing her fins. After a few minutes, she chases all the other girls and cause them to become stressed.

Im also fully aware of the constant shift in container size from the females, and I'm also aware of what stress can do to them, which i dont want.

The tank is spacious and has a lot of room for all three girls. After moving the decorations last night, the larger one seemed confused at the arrangement, but, noticed that all the decorations remained the same.

My guess is that she knew that it was HER territory, and, even though the decorations were moved into different parts, she still saw it as her own. And she was the last one placed into the tank, too.

Another note: The CAE isn't going to be there long. If anything, its being pushed around by ALL my female betta's. I do intend to put it into the 75 gallon tank, but, its too small now. It WILL be devoured faster than it can zoom away by the much larger fish in the tank.
Pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:24 PM   #35 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

People are criticizing without having read the whole story. :/ the CAE thing was already brought up.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #36 
Pod

So once agian, i bring up the problem with my larger female, Sam. When she is removed, the other three dont even notice each other, and when they do, there is only minor flaring and chasing.

My main issue is with the big girl, whom is bullying all the tank mates EXCEPT the two cories.

Any ideas/suggestions? Upon reintroducing her into the tank, she flared, showed her fins at the other females then left them alone for a bit. She swam up to them and they swam away. Then, she'd become enraged and begin bullying them like there is no tomorrow. There are no nipped fins, but, the other females have stress bars and are hiding in small spaces, since they are smaller than the larger girl.

Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Old 03-12-2012, 06:10 PM   #37 
djembekah

It'd probably be best to get her an individual tank.
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:58 PM   #38 
twinjupiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pod View Post
So once agian, i bring up the problem with my larger female, Sam. When she is removed, the other three dont even notice each other, and when they do, there is only minor flaring and chasing.

My main issue is with the big girl, whom is bullying all the tank mates EXCEPT the two cories.

Any ideas/suggestions? Upon reintroducing her into the tank, she flared, showed her fins at the other females then left them alone for a bit. She swam up to them and they swam away. Then, she'd become enraged and begin bullying them like there is no tomorrow. There are no nipped fins, but, the other females have stress bars and are hiding in small spaces, since they are smaller than the larger girl.

Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Do you have a breeder net or something that you could keep her in inside the tank? maybe if she is confined for a few days, the other girls could re-establish a pecking order..
or maybe separating her permanently would be a better idea.

The last time I had a girl bully the rest of the girls, she turned out to be a young male HMPK.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:02 PM   #39 
twinjupiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
People are criticizing without having read the whole story. :/ the CAE thing was already brought up.
Sorry if I came off as criticizing! I just wanted to share my mistake, and note that as my CAE got bigger, he became more of a jerk.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #40 
Pod

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinjupiter View Post
Do you have a breeder net or something that you could keep her in inside the tank? maybe if she is confined for a few days, the other girls could re-establish a pecking order..
or maybe separating her permanently would be a better idea.

The last time I had a girl bully the rest of the girls, she turned out to be a young male HMPK.
I do not, sadly. And my female is a 100% female. Shes bigger than my HM male. My guess is that she spent a year at petsmart[where i got her, since I hate seeing them in the cups. It depresses me], and is pretty used to being alone.

Right now I have her in a cup, floating in the new and improved tank. I drastically changed the scenery, and i'm hoping that after a few weeks in the cup, the girls will be used to seeing each other, and there will be no more fighting.

Is this recommended? Or no?