Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-10-2012, 10:37 PM   #1 
7trystan7

Talking ?!?fish health?!?

Hey guys so I have a few questions okay so bear with me. First off I have spent so much money to make my first bettas home perfect so I am very frustrated at the problems that have arised. First off in his ten gallon tank the filter was too strong so I got a rock shelf that stuck under the filter to stop the flow and that solved that but now he wont eat and I don't know what to do and he is attacking his reflection and I don't know what to do. Please help I want my betta as happy as can be. Thanks!
7trystan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:00 PM   #2 
dorymomory

It's normal for bettas to flare at their own reflection--they're very aggressive and territorial, and they think the reflection is another betta. I wouldn't worry much unless he's hurting himself.

As for not eating, sometimes they won't eat if they're stressed out. Make sure the water temperature is right (76-81 Farenheit) and your rock shelf is working to keep the water flow gentle. Also, you may want to test your water to see if the ph, ammonia, etc. are alright. I'm not familiar with what those levels should be, but look around this forum and you should find them. Many pet stores will test a water sample for you for free.

Also, he may just not like the food you have for him, so you might want to try out something different. They're generally more fond of pellets than flakes, and nearly all of them love freeze-dried bloodworms for a treat.
dorymomory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:08 PM   #3 
cp6445

Awesome that you were able to provide your new betta with such a great home! There's a sticky on here that gives you some questions about your tank and betta to answer, to help some of the pros give you the best advice. In general, it's not that uncommon for a new betta to take a while to acclimate, and not eat well for a few days, especially if your 10gal is not cycled. Make sure your water parameters are perfect.

Regarding the flaring, having a good source of natural light in the room while your tank light is on will reduce his reflection. That being said, one of my sweeties in his 10gal flared so much at his reflection against the black of the filter that he hurt his fins, so I ended up sticking white shelf liner on the back of his aquarium to eradicate the reflection, and that fixed the problem.

Good luck!

Last edited by cp6445; 03-11-2012 at 06:09 PM. Reason: typo
cp6445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #4 
Rosso1011

As for the problem with eating, some bettas will go up to two weeks without eating while they are getting used to their new environment. This may also be further aggravated if they do not like the food they are provided with. Your betta will not starve himself to death, even if he is not happy with the food.

As for the food, I first recommend starting with pellets, if you haven't already. Pellets are usually preferred over flake with bettas. Secondly, I recommend examining the ingredient list on the food you already have. You want to have food that lists fish meal or a fish ingredient first...bettas are carnivores. Two good brands to look into are Omega One Betta Buffet and New Life Spectrum pellets. They're good quality foods that bettas will take to fast.

As for bloodworms, if you do get buy some, remember that they are a treat and should be given maybe once or twice a week. Not trying to contradict the member above, but not all bettas enjoy them either. Rosso won't go near them, but it's worth a shot if you want to provide your betta with a treat.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #5 
7trystan7

Talking Thanks!

Thanks guys for all the advice! My fish might not like his food because the water is perfect temp and everything and the filter is fixed so theres no current and he has light and places to hide so theres nothing else but the food. Oh yeah and I fed him a ton on accident the first day so that might have something to do with it. He's a beautiful red halfmoon double tail so I'd love for you guys to see him but I don't know how to post videos. How long can he go without food because I want to get him hungry again before I start feeding again. I put a pellet in there every day for 10 min just to see if he'll eat it but he just bites at it for a second and then leaves so any more advice?
7trystan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:18 PM   #6 
Rosso1011

I would continue to offer him food twice a day, but if he doesn't eat after a little bit, remove the food because it will sink to the bottom and rot. I think I mentioned it above, but bettas can go up to two weeks without food. Hard to tell when he'll be hungry next.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:28 AM   #7 
a123andpoof

One thing you can do about the chasing of reflection is put paper or a backround up. Sometimes that can block him seeing his reflection. I had the same problem with one of my boys and it really stressed him out. So do keep an eye on that.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #8 
OMGemily

Antione took about a week before he started eating and i was super excited when he did haha now he darts at anything that even remotely resembles food. hes pretty little though so the first few times he tried eating he just spit it out and (im guessing) this was because the pellets were too big for him. but he wont eat anything unless it starts sinking, so flakes were out of the question.
so what i ended up doing for a while was splitting the larger pellets with my finger nail (theyre not hard to split) and feeding him those. once he got used to that i just gave him whole ones. he still has slight difficulties and sometimes coughs it back up but in the end he eats them, up to 4 at a time if i let him! but i havent fed him more than that at once
OMGemily is offline   Reply With Quote