Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2012, 11:37 PM   #1 
Ianthe

Question Can you gradually add females to a sorority?

Can you gradually add females to a sorority tank, or do they all need to go in at the same time? I have had lots of boys, but never girls,and we have a spare very well planted ten gallon that I am thinking about turning into a sorority. Right now the only residents are 2 small cory cats and a mickey mouse platy.

1. Will the platy be ok, or should I move her?

2. How many females to a well planted 10 gallon?

3. I would prefer to start off with maybe 3 or 4 females and then add 1 or 2 down the line (as I see some I need/want/can't resist)... is this doable or do you need to start with all residents at the same time?

Thanks!
Ianthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:38 AM   #2 
LugiaChan

I'm wishing for updates in this thread too- I may be doing the same thing. Please comment/quote me for updates :)
LugiaChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:21 AM   #3 
lvandert

**thread stalking** :P
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:11 AM   #4 
MaisyDawgThirteen

In a 10 gallon sorority you could have 5 or 6 girlies and no other fish. The bio-load would not allow for there to be more. I'd get 3 more cories and a 2 more platies as cories are schooling fish and platies like to be in groups.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #5 
Ianthe

We really want to do a sorority, so I will probably just move the other fish if they can't go together :)

Anyone have input on adding girlies slowly?
Old 03-13-2012, 12:50 PM   #6 
chrissylee13

well i don't know from experience but i've read a lot of threads where some people have had success with adding girls slowly. although there have been some where people have had no luck with it and had to redo their entire tank just to introduce another female. the ones that i've read to have success are that they usually get the other girls to one corner of the tank with food then release the new girl on the opposite side. but i'm sure it all depends on the fish and tank size as well. sooooo it's pretty much a hit or miss i think. i'm pretty positive once i start my sorority i'll probably introduce my females all in the same day either by aggression order or all at once some how. not sure though.
chrissylee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:54 PM   #7 
chrissylee13

oh and i've also read in some threads in other forums that people have had up to 9 or so females in a 10 gal tank. i know it's not suggested because of the bio load but i'm sure these people did special cleaning on these tanks. probably had a more powerful filter too. but personally i probably wouldn't go that many in a 10 gal.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:58 PM   #8 
Ianthe

Thanks! As far as redoing the tank, does that just mean rearrange all plants and decorations? Or do you have to totally dismantle it?
Old 03-13-2012, 02:21 PM   #9 
chrissylee13

oh i mean rearranging the plants and decorations. this is because you'd be putting them back into a whole different setting with different territories. so that they can reestablish them so that way the new females can too and they aren't invading anyone else's.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:06 PM   #10 
Pitluvs

I've added 3 Bettas to a 10g, then added another female, and another female a week apart. I did this because I got my 3 girls from a breeder and had to wait for new Bettas at the pet store. What I did was add the 3 girls, and bought my other two and had them in 1g tanks. After a week, I added one healthy girl after changing all the plants and such. Then a week later I added the other healthy girl after changing everything. It worked well for me, but every fish is different. I wouldn't leave small numbers in the tank for long, because aggression can build up and they can start fighting with each other. The reason we say 5-6 is to space the aggression out so while one hides and rest, another gets picked on lol
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote