Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2012, 05:41 PM   #1 
Jessicatm137

Exclamation Fish Problem!!!

My cousin has a Betta, and something is wrong. I had her fill out this form, please help!!! I attached some pictures but I don't know if they will help.

Housing
What size is your tank? - One gallon
What temperature is your tank? – I have no way of knowing, but it seems to be doing fine for my other bettas.
Does your tank have a filter? - No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? – No
Is your tank heated? – No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? – None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? – Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? – Four pellets once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? – Every two weeks or so
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? – 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? – Water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? – I have not tested the water.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment

How has your betta fish's appearance changed? – His fins are clamped, the scales on his face and head area are turning gray, and the scales on his nose seem to be pulling upwards, so there is a bump right under his eyes, and the skin on his nose is exposed.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed – He doesn’t swim around as much as he used to, and he’s not blowing the usual bubble nests. He tends to hang out at the top of the water.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? – Three or four days ago, on March 29th. First I noticed his fins clamped, and then two days ago I noticed his graying scales, and the weird thing going on with his nose I only noticed yesterday.
Have you started treating your fish? – No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? – No
How old is your fish (approximately)? – I bought him at Petco and had him for two months or so, but I don’t know how old he was when I bought him.

Attached Images

Last edited by Jessicatm137; 03-30-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Jessicatm137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:14 PM   #2 
Laki

Aw, he doesn't look well.

Number 1 thing for you to do, get used to cleaning his 1 gallon at least fully once a week. And do a 25-50% water change a week. He might be affected by ammonia and other poisons from dirty water.
Think about the amount of water in there, he's peeing and pooping daily. A clean bi-weekly is a fast way to mess him up.

But fear not!

This is simple to fix, hopefully.

Start by cleaning his water. He should feel better in clean water. I don't know about his nose but it sounds like a side-effect of dirty water. Give him a few days in clean water and see how he is.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:17 PM   #3 
Mo

If the scales are raised upwards towards his head or on any given part of the bettas body you a encountering a sign if what can be called dropsy this is usually a symptom of organ failure and when the scales are already raised, at this post he symptom is almost untreatable and the best course if action would be to eauthinize the fish
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:20 PM   #4 
Laki

I wouldnt just euthanize it right away.

Let's see if it really IS dropsy first. A raised scale could be an injury too....We don't have enough details yet.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:22 PM   #5 
Jessicatm137

I already told her to start cleaning her water twice a week, but thank you! I'll ask her for more details.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:24 PM   #6 
Laki

If you can get a clearer picture of the nose.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:26 PM   #7 
Mo

Multiple raiased scales usually isn't a sign of any early affects of most given injuries. Most of the time when the scales are raised in larger quantities it will be very likely to be dropsy, also. The provided symptoms support this statement. Such as swelling of the eyes.

Eauthinasia is a key part in dropsy problems, as most of the given time this is a result of organ failure and is very difficult to treat, by the time the given symptoms are already appearing. The fish is already being affected greatly and the chance if perishing is more so higher, this is a very hard to treat disease, and it rarely does get treated, This is the main reason why I recommended Eauthinasia.
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:14 PM   #8 
Tikibirds

You can try putting him in epsom salt. Its 1 teaspoon per gallon. Mix it and use it on the next water change. Daily wate changes with epsom can be used every day. Make sure its unscented epsom.

It probably won't do much if it IS dropsy but its worth a shot. Maracyn and maracyn 2 may also help if its caused by a bacterial infection
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:46 PM   #9 
Jessicatm137

I e-mailed her and she said she doesn't think it is Dropsy, she says there is like a stripe of exposed skin across his nose... she says she will get a picture up as soon as she can.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:01 PM   #10 
Laki

Could have got stuck in something if the skin is bare. Any luck getting a pic? She should address this before it gets way worse!