Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-10-2012, 11:50 PM   #1 
freemike

Flaring damaging gills?? (PICS)

I have a Betta (Mystic) that hasn't ever really been a lively boy you could say. I've only seem him flare a few times and very rarely. He has never really payed much attention to his neighbor in the tank beside him. Most of the time never noticed him. Even when he saw his own reflection he would get stress stripes rather than flare.

Well I've had him on a round of antibiotics 2nd treatment dosed this morning. Anyways like I said he is making really good progress his fins look amazing compared to what they was. They are showing signs of regrowth. Well apparently he is just full of himself now. I look over at him from the desk and I see him just having a go of himself flaring and showing off to the neighbor that is well ignoring him lol. He is acting fine still but he has over done it I believe because on each side he has two spots where he looks like he has tore his self. He is due another round of antibiotics on Tuesday morning. What should I do about the tears on his gills? Should I put him in salt after the anti-biotics or just let them heal on their own?
Attached Images

Last edited by freemike; 03-10-2012 at 11:53 PM.
freemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:02 AM   #2 
kfryman

All my females have similar markings so it may be normal. I am not quite sure though.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:04 AM   #3 
SilverCaracal

I think he's fine. Flarinig won't damage his gills. What are the antibiotics for because I would take him off of them.
SilverCaracal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:08 AM   #4 
freemike

His fins were melting and have now stopped and starting to regrow. Salt didn't help and only contained the melting and didn't see regrowth and just mending of splits. When I took him off the salt they started melting/splitting again. He is getting off of the antibiotics Tuesday. I'm not going to stop mid-round as I'm afraid it wouldn't get all of the infection and flare back up. I've always thought you never give half doses/rounds of antibiotics for the infection may come back and be even more resilient.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:13 AM   #5 
SilverCaracal

Maybe so...Often times antibiotics do more harm than good. But then again I don't know what it is that you're treating him with...
SilverCaracal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:16 AM   #6 
freemike

Maracyn Plus its 3 dose per round broad spectrum antibiotic dosed on days and 1,3, and 5 and a water change on day 7. From my understanding treatment can continue if need be but from I read is you do NOT stop a round once you start it. I know antibiotics can be hard on the fish and that is why I did a round of salt treatment before hand it just didn't help. Since I've had him I have never seen him act this healthy. I'm glad he is partaking in regular Betta behavior such as flaring but I am concerned about the tears on his gills.

Last edited by freemike; 03-11-2012 at 12:20 AM.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #7 
vilmarisv

What are you seeing that makes you think he's tearing his gills?
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:52 PM   #8 
freemike

The two straight vertical lines they look pink like the scales are opening or tearing.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:41 PM   #9 
vilmarisv

You mean on the gill flap?
That's just normal coloration. When bettas flare they get those lines, nothing wrong with your fish if that's what you are worried about.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote