Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2012, 04:29 AM   #1 
Hollythebetta

I need more help with Holly

Holly is recovering from his mysterious illness that caused those weird white patches. He's nearly back to his normal coloring and is eating well and seems happy enough in his 0.5g QT, other than staying at the top most of the time. I'm still treating his water with AQ salt and have started with Stress Coat today.

BUT his dorsal fin is disintergrating. It is seriously so full of holes it looks like a piece of lace! I thought the salt would stop any fin rot but it's getting worse every day. What do I do now??
Hollythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:12 AM   #2 
Lillybulb

are you doing daily water changes?
Lillybulb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:40 AM   #3 
Hollythebetta

Yes, 100%. I'm using aged water from the now empty 21L tank that I'm still running and sitting Holly's QT tank in and just adding the salt (pre-dissolved) and stress coat into the QT tank before I put Holly in.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:37 AM   #4 
Lillybulb

You probably should add some medication. I've used both Maracyn-Two for freshwater and Melafix successfully to cure fin rot. Don't add medication and salt at the same time. I do water change add salt then let it sit for an hour or two before I dosed the tank with meds.
Lillybulb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #5 
Hollythebetta

I can't get Maracyn 2 around here and I've heard mixed reports about Melafix, given that it's tea tree oil based. Is there anything else that would work?
Old 03-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #6 
Silverfang

Can you post a picture? It could be any number of things, fin biting, fin blow out, getting torn on decoration/ filter. Honestly daily water changes and AQ salt (up to 3 tsp/gal) is the best thing for fin rot. IF it is not rot, the aq salt won't cure it, but will help prevent infection from setting in or spreading.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #7 
Hollythebetta

Unhappy

I just went to take a photo of him and as he took a breath, the water expelled in bubbles from his mouth AND his gills. :(

He's been terribly sick for a few weeks. I joined this forum last week and there's a thread about him with loads of photos which I've just updated and bumped up the front page. He was doing really well, but now with his dorsal fin rotting and the bubbles as he exhales, I'm starting to think it might be time to euthanise him. I so don't want to, I love this little guy and he has fought so hard, but I don't want him to suffer.

This is what he looks like today:
Attached Images

Last edited by Hollythebetta; 03-11-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:57 PM   #8 
Pataflafla

Did you manage to treat him with anything other than the aquarium salt and the cure all?

Might want to look into a strong anti-bacterial medication (This will be rough on him if you do it, but he could make it through and live out a full life). I'm not sure what is available near you since I live in the US.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:14 PM   #9 
Hollythebetta

I started adding stress coat too, but haven't used any antibacterial treatments. Do you think he has a chance? He's eating really well but is getting skinnier and skinnier, on top of all the other issues. :(
Old 03-11-2012, 09:20 PM   #10 
Pataflafla

He might have a chance. Is his poop the color of his food or pale/white and stringy? If it's abnormal then maybe try for parasite medication.

His weight loss despite eating well makes me think possible parasite.

Maybe try spreading his food out to 3 feedings a day and add a pellet or two to his regular schedule. He might nee da bit more right now with him fighting off infection.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote