Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2012, 10:32 PM   #11 
Hollythebetta

His poo is normal. I even googled what healthy betta looks like to check, and yep - it's normal! I was feeding him 3 times a day but then I thought I gave him a mild case of SBD. I just don't know what the right thing to do is.

He is much calmer and happier with his plant and tunnel back and the darkened tub. Is he ok to be in a plastic tub or should I take the gravel out of his regular tank and put him in there? His QT is too small for his plant and tunnel to fit in....
Hollythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:09 PM   #12 
Pataflafla

The plastic tub is fine for a qt. If his poop is normal then go with anti-bacterial medication.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:42 AM   #13 
Hollythebetta

The only AB available at my local pet shop today was Melafix, which I didn't want to use given the mixed reports. I won't be able to get to another pet shop until Thursday (I have twins with autism, so we can't just go out to the shops whenever). What do I do? Is it worth using the cure all I have?

Poor holly is much calmer in his bucket with his plants and tunnel, but he keeps lying on the top of the plant so his mouth is right at the surface. He's still gulping the air and it's still bubbling out of his gills (mostly the good one, not the one that went silver).

I don't know what to do. :(. I don't him to suffer but I don't want him to die.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #14 
ANHEL123

So sorry i don't even know what to say but if he is eating normal he probably don't suffer. How long you do aq salt for?

ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:16 PM   #15 
Sena Hansler

Have you found out what the white patches are? When I heard white patches I thought columnaris. My girls, I thought had a very strong strain of fin rot and it was really columnaris and we are fighting it off with everyone in separate isolation!

If it is fungal, the water temperature shouldn't be raised because fungus loves warmer water...

Expelling bubbles, to me sounds like he's gotten air in his tummy - which can be from being out of water, SBD (overfeeding, or eating too fast, or eating too much freeze dried stuff)... Which Epsom, would help him with whatever is inside. I recommend daily 100% water changes... trying to keep him in the tank without removing him to avoid more stress. Or use a cup to scoop him out if need be.

Maracyn and Maracyn 2 combined is very good. Furan-2 is good too, but I find not as strong. If you can get it (even if not now for this fish, but for the future) kanaplex is very good to have on hand.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #16 
Hollythebetta

I still don't know what the white patches were. They didn't look like any if the columanuris pictures I found online. They weren't fuzzy or cottony or anything. More like a discoloration and the gill that was worse looked slightly raised and as he got better, the scales were shiny silver with a blue sheen. Not like a fungal growth at all. I think we all ended up thinking possible amonnia burns or similar. There's loads of photos in my first thread (titled "my son's betta is very very sick").

He was responding really well to the daily 100% water changes and AQ salt. But his dorsal fin just started deteriorating and wouldn't stop. And then the bubbles. :( The bubbles happen when he takes a breath in - its like the air just comes straight out his gills. It also happens when he eats.

He's had some breakfast just now but he's still very lethargic and not happy. Every time I look at him he's resting on top of his plant, but he wiggles around and swims to me whenever he spies me. Poor little guy. I never thought I could love a fish this much. And I feel so terribly guilty because I did this to him by following what the pet shop told me to do, instead of what I thought was right. :(

Last edited by Hollythebetta; 03-12-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:06 PM   #17 
Sena Hansler

I wouldn't worry too much of the bubbles then. Some of my bettas, when they are not feeling good hae a tendency to do that as well. can you find out all of what your walmart/pet store/fish store sells? Maracyn and Maracyn 2 combo combats positive and negative grams - which is pretty helpful against almost any ailment lol.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #18 
Hollythebetta

Oh, thank goodness! I was so scared the bubbles meant he was suffocating or something. I'm very relieved to hear it can be "normal".
Old 03-12-2012, 09:14 PM   #19 
Sakura8

Hi. I'm sorry Holly has taken a turn for the worse. Poor guy. If he had some ammonia burns on his gills, then they probably are not functioning quite right, hence the bubbles. It would be best to treat him with an antibacterial med, as Pata and Myates suggested. Since it sounds like you don't have a very well-stocked LFS/LPS, your best bet is to go with API Furan-2 if you can. The Maracyn combo can also be effective but only if your pH is low. In higher pHs, 7.0 and over, the effectiveness of the medication diminishes quite significantly.

Keep him in the AQ salt, use Stress Coat if you have it and look for the one of those meds. I hope Holly can pull through. If he starts to have trouble swimming for the surface to get air, lower the water level as much as you have to.

Please don't blame yourself. Keeping fish in an ongoing learning process. You're doing a fine job taking care of Holly.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:57 PM   #20 
Hollythebetta

Thanks Sakura.

I can't get macaryn - apparently they don't sell it in Australia. The only antibiotics I can find readily are Melafix/betta fix which are both tea tree oil based. I know the good pet shop 20 mins away have a huge range of API stuff, so I'll see if they have the furan-2.

He's got no salt in his water today - I thought he was only meant to be in salt for a week - but I have been using stress coat. The water level is quite low, but he likes to have his plant etc with him to hide in. When he's tired, he lies on the top of the plant so his mouth is only just below the water surface (it's only a short but dense plant).

The poor little guy still gives me wiggles and comes up to see me whenever I peek in his bucket. He's such a sweet little fish...