Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2012, 09:31 AM   #1 
GuppyBetta

Greetings from GuppyBetta in Ohio

Hi! I'm GuppyBetta, I just joined the forum yesterday, and I live in Powell, Ohio.

I have one male veiltail betta named Jimmy as of now. I used to have a fishroom with lots of tanks, but it was too big of a responsibility, and I was once dumb enough to keep bettas in quart jars, so the large responsibility that I couldn't keep up with unfortunately killed many of my fish.

But, I want to join the hobby again, and take better care of my fish now. We're moving into my step-sister and step-mom's house very soon (in about 2-3 weeks), and I'm going to be able to get one tank there (Jimmy is at my mom's house). My favorite fish are bettas and guppies, and I plan to get either one male betta or a few male guppies in the tank. My step-sister also has a female betta, a veiltail named Mystery. Here is a pic of Mystery (sorry it's mirrored, I can't fix it ).
Attached Images

GuppyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:03 AM   #2 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Welcome to bettafish.com!
I own guppies too! :)
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:52 AM   #3 
GuppyBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisyDawgThirteen View Post
Welcome to bettafish.com!
I own guppies too! :)
Thanks! I've felt pretty welcome here since I've joined. I don't have guppies yet, but I love them and I'm planning on getting a few males for my tank (We're moving into a small house so I'd rather not deal with babies/fry).
Old 03-11-2012, 11:05 AM   #4 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuppyBetta View Post
Thanks! I've felt pretty welcome here since I've joined. I don't have guppies yet, but I love them and I'm planning on getting a few males for my tank (We're moving into a small house so I'd rather not deal with babies/fry).
Yeah, there is a real sense of community here. Mine are all males, too. :)
Make sure they are in a 10+ Gallon tank! :D
Old 03-11-2012, 04:12 PM   #5 
GuppyBetta

Quote:
Yeah, there is a real sense of community here. Mine are all males, too. :)
Make sure they are in a 10+ Gallon tank! :D
Oh, they need 10 gallons? I know they'd need that space for 2-3+ guppies, but I've heard one or two only needed around 5 gallons. I was only planning on getting one or two of the male "feeder" wild-type guppies (they grow a bit smaller than the pet-store fancy ones). If I can't get guppies in a smaller tank though, I guess I'll just get a betta.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #6 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuppyBetta View Post
Oh, they need 10 gallons? I know they'd need that space for 2-3+ guppies, but I've heard one or two only needed around 5 gallons. I was only planning on getting one or two of the male "feeder" wild-type guppies (they grow a bit smaller than the pet-store fancy ones). If I can't get guppies in a smaller tank though, I guess I'll just get a betta.
You can keep them in a smaller tank, but it's a lot less up-keep in a bigger tank and they are around the same price. :) I have 2 of mine in a 5 gallon because I had no other option; they were bullying the others.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #7 
GuppyBetta

Quote:
You can keep them in a smaller tank, but it's a lot less up-keep in a bigger tank and they are around the same price. :) I have 2 of mine in a 5 gallon because I had no other option; they were bullying the others.
I know the small tanks are around the same price as a 10 gallon. It's more of a space issue. We're soon moving in with my stepmother and stepsister, and their house is rather small. It took me some persuading to get anything bigger than what my stepsister has for Mystery, which is a 2 gallon. So I will probably need the smaller tank, I'm looking at tanks that are 5 gallons (on average, I've found everything from 3-10 gallon tanks that are good for our space issue).
Old 03-12-2012, 06:39 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping....

Look forward to hearing more about your Betta keeping adventures and seeing more pic....

Enjoy your stay.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:21 PM   #9 
GuppyBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping....

Look forward to hearing more about your Betta keeping adventures and seeing more pic....

Enjoy your stay.....
Thanks! I'm trying to get some pics of Jimmy. I need to catch him when he's swimming, considering he LOVES to nap LOL (seriously, almost 3 hours per day he's asleep, not including nighttime).
Old 03-14-2012, 02:15 AM   #10 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Hi and welcome to the forum.
Guppies can live in smaller tanks but may become aggressive if it's an all male sorority. Bigger tanks should reduce such aggression. Get at least 3, more better, in case one of them becomes aggressive.

Hope you enjoy this forum.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote