Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2012, 10:03 AM   #1 
kamsmommy

Tap water high in ammonia

Our betta is sick and I think it is the ammonia in the water. I bought the API liquid test kit and the tap water tests at about a 1 on ammonia. I have Prime but I was reading that it only takes the ammonia down but then that turns into nitrates if you don't have a cycled tank.

We have a 2.5 gallon with 1 betta. It has a filter but I was told it was too small to cycle.

Is the Prime effective if the tap water is already so high in ammonia? Should I use more than recommended 2 drops per gallon? Do I need to buy special water?

He was doing so good for the first couple weeks. Thanks for any help.
kamsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:56 PM   #2 
a123andpoof

I am not sure about the Prime, but they do make drops that you can put in your water to get rid of the ammonia in the tap water. I do not know how effective they are, just thought I would throw that out there and maybe someone with the same problem will chime in. I have some ammonia in my water but thankfully its not that high.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #3 
Pataflafla

Prime doesn't remove ammonia completely, no water conditioner does. you'll need to change out some of the water weekly to actually get rid of it.

In a 2.5 gallon tank you want to change 1 50% and 1 100% weekly.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:22 PM   #4 
kfryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pataflafla View Post
Prime doesn't remove ammonia completely, no water conditioner does. you'll need to change out some of the water weekly to actually get rid of it.

In a 2.5 gallon tank you want to change 1 50% and 1 100% weekly.
The ammonia is on the tap, so changing the water will bring the ammonia down in the tank but more ammonia is going in the tank.

Mist water has ammonia from what the water company treats. My tap runs at about .5 so it is half of what you have. Prime neutralizes the ammonia, but that wears off, at least I think, after a while.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:23 PM   #5 
Pataflafla

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
The ammonia is on the tap, so changing the water will bring the ammonia down in the tank but more ammonia is going in the tank.

Mist water has ammonia from what the water company treats. My tap runs at about .5 so it is half of what you have. Prime neutralizes the ammonia, but that wears off, at least I think, after a while.
Whoops. Missed the tap part.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #6 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

You can buy a specific product to remove ammonia from the water. Not something I'd do instead of cleaning, but since it's coming from your tap you're pretty much stuck with this option.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...r+Conditioners
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote